My first 2 disasterous evenings with Node-RED

Hey man,
That is a fair criticism, some of the industrial stuff I will agree is garbage. Some of it is very expensive and very good. Some of it is very expensive and garbage. What SD card would you recommend I was using expensive Swissbit and panasonic cards. I wasn't skimping or anything. I didn't abandon the PI quickly. I also was using expensive Allen bradley and tried cheap Automation direct PSU's generally industrial PSU's are very solid compared to hobby grade psu's.

For me, the Samsung Evo or Evo Pro cards have been brilliant. I've not had a failure of one of those in several years now even with the dreaded Pi power termination events (e.g. pulling the plug). I've never had one fail in a camera or phone now I think about it either.

I also always make sure that I get a card a LOT larger than strictly necessary as that gives loads of room for wear levelling. I always get 32GB cards for the Pi's.

My 2 Pi's average about a write per second 24x7x365, I make no effort to reduce log writing. Nor do I turn off InfluxDB stats gathering.

Good point that I keep forgetting about. I think I must have been pretty lucky with cables as I tend to grab one from the box when I need one without giving much thought to it unless it is a really thin one.

I am always careful with connectors though - in fact I handle all my kit with care unlike some people who seem to think that cheap mass-produced kit can take any kind of rough handling. So many people I know, even supposed experts in IT and electronics handle their stuff without a thought. I guess maybe I started out at a point where electronics regularly ran to the many thousands of Ā£/$ and quite often into the millions.

1 Like

One of the guys round here recently did a resistance check on all the USB A to micro cables we had lying around that we often used to power Pis. Turned out more than 50% had enough resistance to drop the 5v at the psu to barely adequate at the Pi end. Needless to say they have now been tagged not for Pi use.

As a fan of the Pi I won't use it for node-red, only needed 1 SD card failure to find out why. Hope the next Pi will have nvme support. I got a lenovo m93 tiny instead, cheap refurbished powerhouse with an ssd, running Debian, couldn't be happier with this setup.

2 Likes

Very similar to my experience, with the note that it isn't only the "thin" cables that have problems. In fact, calculation based on wire gauge does not explain most of the resistance values I've seen. I suspect poor connectors or wire termination in a lot of the cheap cables.

Clearly I need to make a test rig :slight_smile:

Or buy Pi 4's.:slightly_smiling_face: USB C cables and connectors should help.

Oh, I'll be going there, that's for sure :smile:

Trouble is, I don't yet know whether the USB-C power adaptors that I have (from various Microsoft/Nokia Windows Phones) will work. They have the power for sure but the fault in the charging circuit on the Pi4 might mean they wont work. Being an adopted Yorkshireman, I object to spending the extra Ā£8-9 on another power adaptor! :moneybag:

1 Like

Well, I would expect the same potential issues tbh. You can already buy very cheap C cables. Not saying they aren't any good, but ...

Interesting that the only failure I have had from a relatively new sd card was one of these :thinking:

I use Sandisk Ultra and they haven't let me down.

But I think any named brand (providing it's not counterfeit) is fine. There can be the odd problem with even the best.

1 Like

It's a cross many of us have to bear unfortunately. :smirk: