No debug output in side-bar. Tried lots, stuck, please help

Clicked inject before screenshot.

What have you tried yourself or are you just waiting for input here ?

node -v
npm -v

How did you install node-red ?

v10.16.0

Installed it using " ```
npm install -g --unsafe-perm node-red

There is your problem. Upgrade npm.

I downloaded node-v10.16.0-x64.msi and installed it - npm - v still shows 6.9.0

node is not npm.

Did you google how to update npm ?

@bakman2 the version of npm is fine. That is not the problem.

shoot you're right, i misread 6.0 :confused:

Hmmmm.
Nothing out of the ordinary.

Only thing I can suggest is re-run the node-red install from an elevated CMD prompt.

Tried it. No luck.

What URL do you use?

Have you tried

Ps, at a cmd prompt....

• you will get computer IP from ipconfig
  • You will get computer name from set
1 Like

Can this be caused by a websockets issue? OK on http but not on websockets.

I've seen this problem long time ago but can't for the life of me remember what I did. I do suspect its to do with web sockets & that's why I wanted to see devtools console.

Not sure what in Windows will be blocking? I'm unfamiliar with how web sockets work. I guess it's TCP? And a specific port? Perhaps it's firewall related?

@EnigmaHQ could you temporarily turn off the windows firewall (or Norton or whatever firewall you have installed) and try once more?

Tried all the above urls and turning off firewall. No avail.

Stumped.
2 last options...

1. If you can find out what port the websockets run on, perhaps you have an application or service running that blocks or uses that port? Using netstat or other tools to list open ports you might be able to find it and close the offending application.

2. Last ditch attempt... You ain't gonna like it... But it will work...
    2a. Reinstall windows
    Or
    2b. Move to Linux

I can tell you this much, I've ran node-red on about 6 different windows versions from 7 ~ server 2019 and 3 flavours of linux. None have had this issue. My money is on something external like AV / firewall / other application.

Good luck.

Can I suggest you you change the title of this to ....
"No debug output in side-bar. Tried lots, stuck, please help"

It will draw the attention of more capable forum members. (Better than newbie question which suggests it's a silly coding thing)

same issue. Debug side window just stopped working even for the simple hello world?

Without details of your environment, it would be difficult for anyone to offer any advice.

Where are you running node-red?
What versions of node-red and nodejs

What browser?
Are there any errors in the console of the browser?

I am running Node Red via the IBM Cloud. I am just using the Firefox Browser latest release. The failures have been intermittent today. I just do hello world and nothing, nothing, nothing. Then I try to refresh close the browser re open about 5 xs and then it works for a bit, then stops. It is like a failure in the general service around debug... I have not seen this issue until today.

70.0.1 (64-bit) Firefox version