No "file" node in palette (multi-tenant-node-red, docker)

Hello everyone,
i would like to save some data locally (windows pc) but i can't find the "file" node in my list of nodes.
I searched for nodes to add to my palette but couldn't find anything.
Can someone help me? Thank you

file node is installed as part of node-red core nodes.

What version of node-red are you using?

What version of nodejs are you running?

How did you install node-red?

Are you seeing errors in the browser console log?

Can you post a copy of the text you see in the terminal / cmd window when you launch node-red (from "starting node-red" until "running"

I use a dockerized version of multi tenant node-red: GitHub - hardillb/multi-tenant-node-red: A collection of parts to run a Multi Tenant Node-RED service

4 Mar 07:10:06 - [info]

Welcome to Node-RED

4 Mar 07:10:06 - [info] Node-RED version: v1.2.7
4 Mar 07:10:06 - [info] Node.js version: v12.20.1
4 Mar 07:10:06 - [info] Linux 5.8.0-44-generic x64 LE
4 Mar 07:10:07 - [info] Loading palette nodes
4 Mar 07:10:08 - [info] Dashboard version 2.28.1 started at /ui
/bin/sh: /data/node_modules/node-red-node-pi-gpio/testgpio.py: not found
4 Mar 07:10:08 - [warn] rpi-gpio : Raspberry Pi specific node set inactive
4 Mar 07:10:08 - [info] Settings file : /data/settings.js
4 Mar 07:10:08 - [info] Context store : 'default' [module=memory]
4 Mar 07:10:08 - [info] Server now running at http://127.0.0.1:1880/
4 Mar 07:10:08 - [warn]

Your flow credentials file is encrypted using a system-generated key.
If the system-generated key is lost for any reason, your credentials
file will not be recoverable, you will have to delete it and re-enter
your credentials.

You should set your own key using the 'credentialSecret' option in
your settings file. Node-RED will then re-encrypt your credentials
file using your chosen key the next time you deploy a change.

there is part of the problem.

To save "data locally (windows pc)" from docker - Search the internet for "How to Share Data Between a Docker Container and Host"

As for not having the "file" node in the list of nodes - I am stumped. I'll update the title to better reflect the issue and hopefully get you the right help

The file nodes have been explicitly disabled in the custom node-red image used with this setup.

This is very deliberate because unless you have extended the system to include volumes to save data there is nowhere a file would be safe to use and the instances do not have access to your host environment.

From the blog post about building the custom container:

We will also add the nodeExcludes entry which removes the nodes that interact with files on the local file system as we don’t want users saving things into the container which will get lost if we have to restart. It also removes the exec node since we don’t want users running arbitrary commands inside the container.

2 Likes

Thank's Ben and Steve.
Do you have a suggestion to locally save a Json file from a mongo db database using node-red?
Thanks again

Where is node-red running? Is it on the Windows PC?

It runs on a virtual machine running Linux Ubuntu 20

Is that on the Windows machine? If so do you want to save it on a file in the VM or on the Windows machine? Can the VM access files on the Windows machine? Can the Windows machine access files on the VM?
If you want to save directly from node red in the VM to the Windows machine then you don't want the File node anyway (that can only save in the VM), you want to Download the file from from node red to the browser, where you can save it. If you search the forum for Download you will find threads talking about how to do that.

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.