Node-RED under termux and Android

Hello,

Apologies in advance for a truly beginner question but I haven't found any termux specific doc on UI settings to construct flows.

After installing the Node-RED package under termux (aarch64 Android Linux 4.4.177 N-R v1.0.2 Node.js v13.0.0) on a Pixel phone, I was able to construct flows (ignoring the why Android phone retorts for now, please) using the default installation. However, in order to use it meaningfully (for the phone), I installed the contrib package termux-api to obtain access to the phone's functions.

Some UI setting must have changed because I cannot "wire-up" the nodes that I can drag and drop from the widget pane. The entire flow pane moves when conducting a connection using the drag technique. I guess the fat fingers get in the way.

Is there a setting that will freeze the pane from moving during drag operations with nodes on the pane? I did not receive any reply at the termux forum. Most of articles that I have viewed use a tablet and not a phone (for reasons that are predictable/understood). I guess the surface area reduces the fat fingering errors.

Kind regards.

I don't even try to use the editor on the phone. The easiest way to build flows in the phone is to configure the WiFi as a hotspot and connect to that with your pc. Then you can use the editor on the pc. Once it is working then reconfigure the WiFi as desired.

OK. Understood. Thanks!

Actually it isn't necessary to run a hotspot, I do that but that is for a different reason (it is in my caravan and Sonoff devices connect to it to control the caravan environment). You can just connect the phone to your wifi, find it's ip address, and browse to that from the PC.

Thanks again, Colin.

One of the important reasons for me to pursue an N-R solution is that Pixel 2 XL (I'm on my 2nd warranty replacement refurb) heats up dramatically under charging conditions with all (known) apps terminated. On some days the phone shuts itself down. I would like examine, proactively, some status values that I can then leverage over existing N-R/MQTT farm for logging/alerts.

Kind regards.

That sounds like a fault in the battery, charger or charging circuit. Don't leave it unattended while on charge, it may go up in flames. In fact I advise not using it at all.

It is some firmware issue that "the best brains at Google are working to solve."

A few years before the Dell notebook battery incident was first reported, I experienced the "firmware" issue first hand while working for another company that manufactured computers too. The instructions from up above were: "let's not use email to discuss this further; it has only been reported in Europe and yours is the first case here." I ended up with a newer (and higher capacity) notebook after some intensive grilling on usage scenarios. A similar resolution is unimaginable with Google but the reason for the abnormal condition in my simplistic mind is the same - firmware anomaly.