NR with Buster vs Bullseye?

Wonder why Node-red only runs up to Raspian 11 (Buster), and why the official version 12 (Bullseye) is not (or not yet) supported.
Basically no problem, thought with Bullseye later updates would be avoided.

I have Node-RED v3.0.2 running on a Pi 4 model B running Bullseye (32 bit version) and node.js v16.19.0

1 Like

I have Node-red on Pi Zero Twos running Bullseye (64 bit version) and node.js v16.9.0

Wonder why Node-red only runs up to Raspian 11 (Buster)

Where did you get that impression?

1 Like

I guess from here - Running on Raspberry Pi : Node-RED

Prerequisites

If you are using Raspberry Pi OS, Buster is the currently supported version.

It says Bullseye now, whether that has just changed, I don't know.

Yes, I must have changed since 2023-02-28 !!! (Today)

Just before posting I captured to my install notes and marked Buster to remember for further actions:

Prerequisites 2023-02-28
If you are using Raspberry Pi OS, **** Buster **** is the currently supported version.

Installing and Upgrading Node-RED

So will see how that works out with Bullseyes now

I don't remember any time when a specific version of an OS caused any issues with Node-RED?

The nearest thing I remember was when Rasbian added a rather braindead version of Node.js to its base build.

As long as you can maintain one of the LTS versions of Node.js, you should be good to go on any OS. (Not all nodes will work of course as some have OS-specific features).

I think the all powerful omnipotent ones must have noticed my post :rofl:

1 Like

I have Node-RED running on a Raspberry Pi 4B with Bullseye 64-bit OS.
No issues at all here.

It seems I need to stay with Buster. Haven't tried installing node-red on Bullseye as I also need mosquitto. But that wouldn't install on my bullseye! (Terminating with error)
Until that is clean, it makes no sense to install NR on Bullseye.

I also have mosquitto running on a Raspberry pi zero two with 64 bit RPiOS Bullseye.

Perhaps we can help if you show us the error, even if it's not a Node-red problem.

Ein neuer Tag, ein neues GlĂĽck
A reinstall of Bullseye and this page did the job:
https://plantprogrammer.de/mqtt-auf-dem-raspberry-pi-mosquitto/
(Sorry a German site, but it has very simple instructions for mosquitto installation :wink:)

And finally NR came up also:

Welcome to Node-RED 3.0!

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.