ODROID XU4 and NR - just for the thrill

Kind of tempted, I was thinking about purchasing an ODROID XU4 with an eMMC to give Node-RED something new to play with.

Anyone managed to install NR on an Odroid? Is it possible? The thing is said to support Ubuntu 16.04

Namnlo%CC%88st

Hello, indeed it is possible and easy to install Node-RED on an Odroid. It has been a long time I did it (back in 2016) but I remember the installation was flawlessly . At that time I purchased a couple of Odroid C1+ direclty from Hardkernel. The first one was used only for Node Red. I found a note that shows that I installed Node-Red version 0.13.1 on the top of NodeJS version 4.2.6. This is the only information I could find but the installation notes are buried somewhere in Google Drive or most likely in some external backup media. I will see if i can retrieve them. I used it primarily for my first steps with Node-RED. I stopped using the Odroid later on since I was travelling too much (it was a kind of inconvenience to carry it with me all the time) and decided to start using Node-RED in my windows laptop. I consider the hardware of Odroid family excellent. The second unit I purchased was used to run as asterisk pbx and it performed very well. I am surprised to see how much the capacity increased in the newer versions.

Have a look at DietPi, they have an image for the XU4, You can also install Node-Red directly from their built in installation program.

As long as you pick a Debian based is (eg Ubuntu) then the Pi install script “should just work”…
(or indeed try the Diet-Pi method already mentioned)

1 Like