(Off topic) The editor on this webpage

When I am typing a question - or reply - and press an arrow key:

Is it supposed to repeat?

So if I am at the end of the line and want to go back a few characters to fix a spelling mistake and press (and hold) the left arrow key, is it supposed to repeat?

If I press the end or home keys the cursor jumps to either the end or start of the line.
Which is fine in some instances.

But pressing and holding the left (or) right arrow keys, it isn't repeating.
I've just noticed it is the same with the up and down arrows too.

Left/right keys repeating are working for me

Maybe time to switch your computer off and on :slight_smile:

I've seen the same thing - I think it's a quirk with the editor in Discourse. The only fix I've found is to close the browser and come back.

Out of interest are you using Safari (as I am) or another browser?

I use FF.

I shall now see if the problem is still happening.

Seems to be. :frowning:

Shall close this tab and load a new one and see what happens.

Trying now in a private window.
SLIGHTLY better, but not perfect.

With OPERA
Lets see.

WOW! Working fine.

Have to do more research on FF. :frowning:

Arrow keys as well as 'home' and 'end' work fine for me on Firefox 124.0.2 on Windows-10

fine here, Windows 11, Chrome.

Try FF in trouble shooting mode

Thanks.

That's the version I have but on Ubuntu and / but it is the one that comes with the distro, not the official one.

(edit)

Just tried the arrow keys now and they seem to be working.
:confused: :confounded:
Well, kinda. But way better than they were.

Even further off-topic ... I stopped using Google Chrome a long-time back as I discovered the depth of their disingenuous "privacy" approaches. I'm also doing my best to ensure it isn't used by our 15k users at work either and now seeing more and more backing from our Cyber ops team.

I use Brave for YouTube, Vivaldi for all other personal use and Edge for work use (because of its O365 integration).

Care to share?

Was that recent? Have things changed? How certain are you Edge (based on chrome) and others are not worse?

Always. :grinning:

I've stopped using Chrome some years ago. I've been working at elimination from our org also for a few years now.

Nope! There was another recent discovery that relates - that Google were recording user information in "private" browsing sessions. This is just the latest of many discoveries.

What you have to remember is that Google's primary revenue stream is advertising and so information about how and where we browse directly impacts their bottom line.

Which brings us to your other question:

For absolutely certain, Microsoft do capture a LOT of data about how you use their products. However, their primary revenue comes from Enterprise and Government use, not from advertising. A discovery that they were selling data to brokers (what Google have been doing - and note, they've only agreed to stop selling that private browsing data in the USA only), it would undermine their primary revenue. So while I can't say that they don't do it, I can say that it probably isn't worth it to them.

As for the others. Vivaldi and especially Brave, have a selling point around being privacy and security focussed. There are a lot of clever professionals out there that deeply scrutinise the code and network traffic from browsers looking for this stuff. Indeed, it was recently discovered - I think it was with Vivaldi? - where they were accidentally deploying their VPN solution to people who hadn't asked for it. It was picked up and resolved.

But the fundamental thing to think about, as is so often, "follow the money".

I do understand the sentiment but we get a LOT of value from Google for "free" however if everyone stopped their revenue stream (just like TV ads) we would either have to pay for the services OR use another (lesser?) product. More likely is we would have to pay AND "they" (whoever they are) would abuse the data anyway.

It is a genuine balance and I am not certain the alternative would be better TBH.
I.e. following the money does not always mean bad for the consumer and that the alternative reality is better :person_shrugging:

END OFF-TOPIC

It isn't about paying or not. It is about transparency and openness. An organisation that is open and transparent about what data they are capturing, why and the potential consequences - that's fine, I have no real issue with that.

Organisations that capture and aggregate intimate details about me and my life, my relationships, my finances, my beliefs - in order purely to monetise me. That I have severe problems with.

The knock-on impacts of this are being constantly seen now. Where the US government no longer needs warrants because they can obtain more than all the data they ever want by buying it (and yes, we are already starting to see "predictive policing"). The constant misinformation campaigns designed and delivered by governments (our own as well as foreign) t destabilise our societies. The fact that far right-wing groups can purchase data about vulnerable women visiting abortion clinics and actively targeting them. And that isn't even beginning to talk about the constant up-selling pressure.

So this is far more than whether or how we pay for services we consume. This is about very real everyday threats to our privacy, freedom and so much more.

But, as you say - we need to end this now before we get too deep down the rabbit hole.

1 Like