Palette Influxdb install issue

Hi, i was trying to install the palette of influxdb, but i got the following error:
2021-12-20T01:16:53.306Z Install : node-red-contrib-influxdb 0.6.1

2021-12-20T01:17:01.886Z npm install --no-audit --no-update-notifier --no-fund --save --save-prefix=~ --production --engine-strict node-red-contrib-influxdb@0.6.1
2021-12-20T01:17:08.642Z [err] npm
2021-12-20T01:17:08.643Z [err]
2021-12-20T01:17:08.643Z [err] ERR! code EAI_AGAIN
2021-12-20T01:17:08.644Z [err] npm
2021-12-20T01:17:08.644Z [err] ERR! errno EAI_AGAIN
2021-12-20T01:17:08.682Z [err] npm ERR!
2021-12-20T01:17:08.682Z [err] request to https://registry.npmjs.org/node-red-contrib-influxdb failed, reason: getaddrinfo EAI_AGAIN registry.npmjs.org
2021-12-20T01:17:08.696Z [err]
2021-12-20T01:17:08.696Z [err] npm ERR! A complete log of this run can be found in:
2021-12-20T01:17:08.696Z [err] npm
2021-12-20T01:17:08.696Z [err] ERR! /data/.npm/_logs/2021-12-20T01_17_08_684Z-debug.log
2021-12-20T01:17:08.706Z rc=1

Any sugestions? What do i do? Thanks a lot i'm a begginer!

Appears to be a temporary DNS issue. Try running again. If it still doesn't work, maybe try restarting the device and trying again.

You might also want to check whether you are having other DNS issues. I had real problems when trying to use Google DNS, it would quite often fail for several seconds at a time.

I tried to do the installation from a friend's house and the same error appears, the truth is that I no longer know what to do.

Unless you were doing an install to a device in your friends house, you would still be using the same DNS because it would be the one the server is using. Check what DNS server your Node-RED server is getting and try changing to something different.

Also, what version of node.js/npm and node-red are you using? And what platform are you running Node-RED on?

I have the same situation. Even worse - i\ll not be able to change proxy settings as i'm sitting on the offshore installation and company will change no settings for me... Cyber security, IT policy and similar bulls*it... Is there a way to download *.tgz archive for the package (node) i need to install? I saw option "upload tgz file" in Node-RED UI -> Palette Manager -> Install tab. There is small button there.

I need nodes for SVG and Drawsvg to learn how to customize Node-RED Dashboard. I have time after workhours and i'm blocked as i can't install nodes from internet:(:(:(:frowning:

You should be able to download the source as long as the author has given a GitHub repo.

and i did it. The problem is Node-RED UI installer is not accepting tar.gz file i took from repo. "No module found" is all i get...

One way to solve this problem is to keep a parallel system with the same OS, nodejs version and node-red version on a machine that does have network access. Install the nodes you need there and copy the node_modules folder, package.json and package-lock.json across to the non-networked machine. Restart node-red and the additional nodes will be available.

You need to understand a bit about how node.js packages work. With the exception of modules that have a C++ library that must be compiled (e.g. something requiring a serial connection), you normally can get away with unpacking the archive to the right folder under ~/.node-red/node_modules. If you have a look at what npm does with things, you should quickly get the idea. There is a simple test package called aaa that I often use for this. Just install it on a machine using npm and then try to reproduce the same thing by manually downloading it from GitHub.

the thing is i can install no thing using nmp due to network settings at work (cyber security bullshit) - and i'm living here on the platform, going home in one month or so. That is why i am trying to find alternative way. But then why we have option "upload tgz module file" in NodeRED UI palette manager? What for is it, then?

Add support for file upload on /nodes api by knolleary · Pull Request #2682 · node-red/node-red (github.com)

Add design for upload tgz file proposal by knolleary · Pull Request #35 · node-red/designs (github.com)

It does what we've already described doing manually.

Can you link to the tgz file you are trying to install?

It can't be just any tgz you find - it needs to be the tgz file generated by npm pack - which is what it downloads under the covers when you run npm install.

But the next problem you'll have is that if the module has any dependencies on other modules provided by npm, you'll need to manually download and install them yourself.

The only real way that I have found to work is to rebuild a node myself by forking it locally and then setting the package.json to have a bundledDependncies section (see package.json | npm Docs) and running npm install locally before running npm pack... that will then include all the dependencies into the tgz file that can then be installed... but if the OP is offline from the internet then that will be tricky.

Guys, I really appreciate that you're trying to explain things and help me!!!

@ knolleary i've downloaded the files as per Bart here:

from his github repo -> maintenance release -> source code tar.gz

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.