Pass data to a function node?

Hi,

I have a function node that is accessed via a call node.

The function sends data to a database.
I have numerous meters that I wish to save the data into the same database.
At the moment I copy the function and just change device & Garage and add it in another flow.

2 examples ...
let device = "IP15";
let location = "Garage"

let device = "IP21";
let location = "Shed"

Is there a way to only have one function ... and pass the device & locations to it ?
Thanks

let meter           = msg.payload
let device          = "IP15";                                                               // ENTER HERE ...  the last part of the IP address.
let location        = "Garage";                                                             // ENTER HERE ... Location

let new_date        = new Date();                                                           

let iso             = new Date().toISOString();                                           

let timestamp       = Math.round(new_date.getTime() / 1000);                                

let   payload =
      { 
          iso:            iso,
          timestamp:      timestamp,
          meter_reading:  meter
      };

Pass them in on the msg object

e.g. msg.location and msg.device

Thanks hardillb :slightly_smiling_face:

That worked, so simple but took me ages to work out how to pass them on :roll_eyes:

For anyone else in the future, create a function node and then this will pass it on ...

msg.device   = 'IP15';
msg.location = 'Garage';
return msg;

Also very simple and more elegant with a change node!

Why didn't i think of that :upside_down_face:

I usually look for existing nodes to use, never occurred to me to use that one , thanks
So much easier and elegant, I like elegant code :+1:

Thanks

It's very easy, especially if you are used to a more traditional programming language, to automatically reach for a function node to tackle a problem.

A perfectly valid approach but at the cost of possibly losing the editor's visual representation of the program logic

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.