Pi: Lost Palette manager, can't update

I will try and replicate the problem tomorrow

ok - as long as it’s just you… lessens the chances for the rest of us :slight_smile:

(and - before the maths pedants wake up I know that isn’t true…

I have just had a look at the script and there are some of conditions under which it will not get to that code. For example if /etc/apt/sources.list.d/nodesource.list exists then it does not run it. Perhaps the older update-nodejs-and-nodered script, which @Mastiff ran first, did not remove the local copy, but did create nodesource.list. Then the later script would never get to the code that removes the local nodejs.

1 Like

Just to round off this for my part: I did a round on a new copy of a production Pi (well, a copy before any messing around, where Palette manager wasn't visible), and I used these commands only:

sudo rm /usr/local/bin/node*
sudo rm /usr/local/bin/npm*
sudo apt-get remove nodejs npm
sudo rm /etc/apt/sources.list.d/nodesource.list
sudo rm /usr/bin/node*
sudo rm /usr/bin/npm*
sudo rm /var/log/nodered-install.log
bash <(curl -sL https://raw.githubusercontent.com/node-red/raspbian-deb-package/master/resources/update-nodejs-and-nodered)

This time there was nothing saying that I needed to continue the install (Node-RED is not yet fully installed) like the previous time, with the setup that had been through the wringer. Manage palette is there, and all seems to work. So at least for my part this is fixed. :slight_smile: Thanks for your help, Colin!

In fact I think that all you need is the first two lines

sudo rm /usr/local/bin/node*
sudo rm /usr/local/bin/npm*

Well, in the immortal words of Pretty Maids: “Anything Worth Doing, Is Worth Overdoing” :joy: