Problem with nodes in palette

Hi,

because I had some issues with flows that where not responding to cloud services etc. , I wanted to update everything but it when bad real soon.

At this point I do have the lates version of node red, I have NO flows anymore and I managed somehow to unistall everyting I ever installed in de Palette manager. (Fine, I can start from scratch)

So now I'm reinstalling everything I need, and I allready have some issues on 2 nodes.
As you can see on the screenshot, I ave some red triangles and I don't know what they mean. I just now it does not work.

Somehow I still got the feeling something of the 'original' project is still running or messing arround.

Can I get some assistance please to get everything back running

Thx

OK, looks like something has gone pretty badly wrong with your installation.

Can you please tell us what platform you are on, how you installed Node-RED and what version of NodeJS you are using.

Hi,

I'm running it on a raspberry pi.
In the past I just followed the instructions of on the site of node-red. However, I did have some issues but that had to do with rights and me not being really familiar with Linux.

I just updated the Pi with instruciton of this site
https://www.raspberrypi.org/documentation/raspbian/updating.md

For node.js, I'm not sure, but I think I'm on version 6.14.4 as you can see on the screenshot (when updating the Pi and packages)

I still have the same issue after updating everything

br

I'm at the point that everything is displayed well, but it still does not work and the Red triagnle is still there

You'll have to look at the Node-RED startup log to see the details of the errors with the modbus nodes.

pi@raspberrypi:~/.node-red $ node-red
21 Oct 18:02:09 - [info]

Welcome to Node-RED
===================

21 Oct 18:02:09 - [info] Node-RED version: v0.19.4
21 Oct 18:02:09 - [info] Node.js  version: v4.2.1
21 Oct 18:02:09 - [info] Linux 4.9.35-v7+ arm LE
21 Oct 18:02:10 - [info] Loading palette nodes
21 Oct 18:02:16 - [info] Dashboard version 2.9.8 started at /ui
21 Oct 18:02:17 - [warn] ------------------------------------------------------
21 Oct 18:02:17 - [warn] [node-red-contrib-modbus/Modbus-Read] TypeError: utf8 i                                                                       
 s not a function
21 Oct 18:02:17 - [warn] [node-red-contrib-modbus/Modbus-Getter] TypeError: utf8                                                                    
 is not a function
 21 Oct 18:02:17 - [warn] [node-red-contrib-modbus/Modbus-Flex-Getter] TypeError:                                                                    
 utf8 is not a function
21 Oct 18:02:17 - [warn] [node-red-contrib-modbus/Modbus-Write] TypeError: utf8                                                                    
 is not a function
21 Oct 18:02:17 - [warn] [node-red-contrib-modbus/Modbus-Flex-Write] TypeError:                                                                    
 utf8 is not a function
 21 Oct 18:02:17 - [warn] [node-red-contrib-modbus/Modbus-Server] SyntaxError: Bl                                                                   
 ock-scoped declarations (let, const, function, class) not yet supported outside                                                                        
 strict mode
21 Oct 18:02:17 - [warn] [node-red-contrib-modbus/Modbus-IO-Config] TypeError: u                                                                   
 tf8 is not a function
21 Oct 18:02:17 - [warn] [node-red-contrib-modbus/Modbus-Response-Filter] TypeEr                                                                   
 ror: utf8 is not a function
21 Oct 18:02:17 - [warn] ------------------------------------------------------
21 Oct 18:02:17 - [info] Settings file  : /home/pi/.node-red/settings.js
21 Oct 18:02:17 - [info] Context store  : 'default' [module=memory]
21 Oct 18:02:17 - [info] User directory : /home/pi/.node-red
21 Oct 18:02:17 - [warn] Projects disabled : set editorTheme.projects.enabled=tr                                                                   
 ue to enable
 21 Oct 18:02:17 - [info] Flows file     : /home/pi/.node-red/flows_raspberrypi.j                                                                   
 son
21 Oct 18:02:17 - [error] Unable to listen on http://127.0.0.1:1880/
21 Oct 18:02:17 - [error] Error: port in use

This information is what I have.
Can I provide something else?

I think modbus requires a more recent version of nodejs than that. 4 went out of support a while back now.

That also implies that you've managed to end up with 2 different versions of NodeJS installed.

Because I have not enough Linux knowledge I will just start with a new clean version of Raspbian, and I'll re-install everything. In the latest version it should be even possible to install node-red from the desktop I've read?

This will make thing much easier form me. I always have had the issues with admin rights on the linux platform and it doesn't make thing easier for me.

Read the raspberry pi page in the documentation part of the website. This includes the latest recommendations on how to get to the latest version of Node-RED

This is a common problem. Some work was done on the docs a while back to try and clarify things.

Basically, if you want to install NodeJS modules (of which Node-RED is one) globally, you need sudo to install as admin (as root as UNIX people would say).

If you want to install NodeJS modules locally (without -g), that's for custom nodes for example, you should never use sudo because doing so ends up with incorrect folder and file permissions that will cause issues.

So NodeJS itself and Node-RED are installed globally using sudo to give access to protected parts of the filing system.

Nodes, and other project files and folders on the other hand must never use sudo, you must use the account that runs Node-RED however and put your userDir folder in a location owned by that user.

1 Like