Rain volume using totaliser node

Hi,
I am a newbie. I m not sure if this is the correct way to use totaliser node for rain volume last 1 hour and 24 hours but the main issue here is that the rain sensor has a stored value of previous rain amount and totaliser keeps adding it up. How do I reset the values and start with the latest inputs?

1 Like

I've not used that node I'm afraid. I would simply have used a flow or global variable to hold the totals.

If we can assume that you are happy to reset the totals on the hour and at midnight then your function node will need to track whether the hour or day is rolling over. You will want to read up on JavaScript dates to do that.

You might also want to think about whether you want to keep historic data? If you do, then you might want to look at passing the data to InfluxDB which, as a time series database, can do all of this for you.

If your rain gauge gives an accumulating total amount of rain since it was reset on hardware, try setting the totaliser node to display difference of start and end value for the given period. This is at least how the rain gauge on my weather station reports the value (total amount since its batteries were changed).

Note the that the totaliser node returns the value in msg.payload.total and not just msg.payload.

Thanks for pointing out this node, I had not heard about it and just needed such node for the same exact purpose!

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.