Raspberry Pi-OS << Version 12 (bookworm) released

Just noticed Debian version 12 was released on 10th October, 2023.
Pi-OS_Bookworn

Here's a link to all image variants...

6 Likes

Think I will wait and see if this causes any issues before upgrading :wink:

1 Like

As far as I have been informed this is the version (Bookworm) you will need for the Raspberry Pi 5.
Previous versions, like Bullseye and Buster will not work on the Pi 5.

1 Like

We already discovered that Node-red nor anything else logs to /var/log/syslog with Bookworm.

We have to learn to use journalctl (?) for debugging

1 Like

I have a Pi5 on pre order, but doubt I will see it this year :smiling_face_with_tear:

I have a RaspberryPi5 on order, but I'll try this on a spare RaspberryPi4B that I have kicking around as soon as I find where I misplaced my SDMicro cards.. (silly me)..

Curious to see what Node-RED will do, particulary with i2c as that access the GPIO... Prepared for stuff not to work initially.

2 Likes

I took a look at the preliminary manual for the RP1 chip.
One thing I can say is that it won't be easy for us node developers.
Now I have to adapt and test all my nodes for RPI 5.

1 Like

That's the new standard behavior of Debian 12, not an issue with Raspberry OS specifically.

They dropped rsyslog in favor of systemd's journalctl.

See release notes for details:
https://www.debian.org/releases/bookworm/amd64/release-notes/ch-information.en.html#changes-to-system-logging

1 Like

In this OS version is a bookworm.

1 Like

I think that is probably a changed default in systemd. My Debian installation (not a Pi) doesn't log to syslog either. There is a parameter that gets the systemd journaling to sync to syslog, it was discussed in another thread recently.

So if you want it, just turn it on. Either for just Node-RED or as a default for all systemd run apps.

I only mentioned it as an example of OS changes which could in some circumstances impact Node-red. Another example is networking.

Nope, I'm not expecting to turn it back on, the amount of junk which accumulates in /var/log is already a threat to the stability of the system, which might be a poor little Pi with an 8GB SD card.
(I have not tested Bookworm on an 8GB card, mine currently have minimum 16GB, the test of Bookworm is on 32GB)

1 Like

I am not sure that is correct (at least for bookworm), I believe it is because rsyslog is no longer installed installed by default.

@TotallyInformation, on your system does sudo systemctl status rsyslog show it running?

That's correct. It's mentioned in the link I provided in my post earlier.

Yes, it is running on my system. However, I'm running buster, just on an intel laptop not a Pi.

OK, so there are two possible causes of missing syslog.

The PiOS docs do specifically state that rsyslog is no longer installed.

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.