Reading Arduino serial data into node red via usb

Good day All.
I am new to the node red system and i use openhab. as fisialatition of my home automation. now i am trying to use nano's as sensor breakouts on my server to monitor my server room the serial link via usb works and i get the date to node red. but now i want to split the date out to different mqtt topics to my openhab .
my problem comes in with the split out of data. this is what i get in the Serial monitor of my ide.

Screenshot 2021-02-22 at 11.25.04

in node red it splits them in to strings. how do i get that in to the mqtt channels i want to use ?

If you have control of the s/w in the nano (as I presume you do) then a good solution may to send the data to node-red in the form of JSON, so the example you show would be a string containing something like
{"h": 58, "t": 28.1, "Heat Index": 23.34, ...}
Then in node-red you can feed that into a JSON node to convert it to a javascript object. Then the rest is easy.

Hi thanks for reply.
this is out my nano : Must i change it to be a single line output

Serial.print("h: ");
Serial.print(h);
Serial.println(" % ");
Serial.print("t: ");
Serial.print(t);
Serial.println(" *c ");
Serial.print("Heat Index: ");
Serial.print(hi);
Serial.println(" *C ");
Serial.print("Dew ");
Serial.println(DP);
Serial.print("DOOR STAT : ");
Serial.println(door);

then on node red what should my serial in be set on

I would do it as one json string probably. Alternatively if all you want to do is to send it straight to MQTT then send it as separate lines like
{"topic": "h", "value": 58}
{"topic": "t", "value": 28.1}
and so on. Then in node red you will receive the messages one at a time and in a Change node can 'Set msg.topic To msg.payload.topic' and 'Move msg.payload.value To msg.payload' and send that direct to the MQTT node.

I would send the following

Serial.print(h);
Serial.print(":");
Serial.print(t);
Serial.print(hi);
Serial.println(DP)
Serial.println(door);

And then in a function node

var output = msg.payload.split(":");

var h = parseFloat(output[0]);
var t = parseFloat(output[1]);
var heat = parseFloat(output[2]);
var dew = parseFloat(output[3]);
var door = parseFloat(output[3]);
var msg0 = {payload:h};
var msg1 = {payload:t};
var msg2 = {payload:heat};
var msg3 = {payload:dew};
var msg4 = {payload:door};

return [msg0 , msg1, msg2, msg3, msg4];

The serial setting are the same as on you nano

Does that have an advantage over my suggestion which uses a single Change node instead of a function node with four outputs?

Thanks .
I actual used both the only issue i picked up with the function now is that i lose one value .
i lost the dew value. and cant seem to get it sorted. but both are winners. not sure what is the best way. but will run both as i have 2 setups like this and will monitor them.

Sending JSON (instead of string splitting) is the better solution. Every time, any day of the week.

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.