Saving a CSV file on another Computer using Node Red

Hello,

I want to preface this by saying I am a beginner on anything programming related or even using Node
Red, so I am sorry in advance.

I have a project that I am working on where I am measuring data from sensors installed in a remote location and I want to have the data saved on a certain computer. I am currently using some IOT sensors and a IOT gateway computer (https://store.ncd.io/product/ncd-industrial-iot-edge-computer/) to accomplish this. I have been able up to this point to measure data from these sensors and save it as a CSV file to a local flash drive on the edge computer itself. Please see the flow below.

My next goal is to save the CSV to a remote computer on the same wireless network. This is where I have no clue what to do. If anyone could provide some general guidance, that would be great.

Welcome to the forum!

Why not install a database on the remote computer and write to it from the IOT gateway?
InfluxDB is well suited for this sort of data.

If you have Node-RED running on both machines (which it sounds as if you have) then using MQTT to transfer the data would be the easiest and simplest method to set-up. You would need a MQTT broker (e.g. Mosquitto) running on one of the machines.

Hello!
Thats what I am ultimately trying to do, but I am having a hard time figuring out what Nodes to do and how to do it. Im not really too familiar with what each node does which is probably why this is so difficult for me.

@dynamicdave's suggestion using MQTT will get you up and running pretty quickly, you can then get into using a database at your own pace. There is an InfluxDB node available. If you do decide to go with InfluxDB start with the 1.8 version, as the 2.0 version has a steep learning curve.
https://portal.influxdata.com/downloads/

You might like to take a look at sshfs which lets you mount a remote directory exactly like you mounted the flash drive.

But I feel that data belongs in a database not a CSV file. Personally I use Mariadb (= MySQL) and you can write directly to a remote database from within node red, no mqtt necessary.

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.