Send SMS via Node-Red without internet

Hi all curently im using an external service provider,twilio, to send SMS.
However, I would like to send SMS without using internet as the data is sensitive. Is there any hardware that I can interface with node red easily to send SMS using the traditional methods. e.g phone sending sms with sim card

You can have a phone with tasker or Automate installed. These can receive http or mqtt request locally, they can then parse the message and send sms from the phone directly.

I presume you could do this with a mobile adaptor plugged into the pc, along with appropriate software.

I use a Maestro GPRS Modem to achieve the same result. Quick look suggests telematic modems is a good search term.

It runs by sending AT commands over serial - there seems to be USB versions now. In my case, it is connected from another controller (not Node RED), but that is historic. I have used a USB to Serial convertor when testing.

They are comparatively expensive, but then this was for a mission critical solution. It has been running for years without failure. (There, that has jinxed it! :sweat_smile:)

I used to do this with an android phone running node-red via Termux. It sort of worked, Android phones seem to have issues if left on the charger 24/7

You know SMS is not secure right?

"Why SMS Text Messages Aren’t Private or Secure" Why SMS Text Messages Aren’t Private or Secure

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.