"Waiting for Missing Types to be Registered" / "Flows stopped due to missing node types"

Dear all.

I just started with Node-RED yesterday and it's just... amazing ! I love it. Today I have an issue, after a lot of research I haven't found the issue so here I am

I installed Node-RED on a Raspberry-Pi 3B, so far everything was working until the moment I went to "manage palette" and then I added this package "node-red-contrib-zigbee2mqtt".

The moment I added, some basic nodes just disappeared from the bar on the left, as I was using them I also get the "Flows stopped due to missing node types" msg on the screen. Checking the log at the start it says "Waiting for Missing Types to be Registered" and then indicates indeed the nodes missing.

I tried to "fix it", removing the package "node-red-contrib-zigbee2mqtt" (even if I will need it), however it didn't change anything.

What Am I doing wrong? Thanks a lot and greetings from Belgium :slight_smile:

Welcome to the forum.

What OS are you running on and how did you install node red?

Which nodes is it complaining about?

1 Like

Hey @Colin !
Thanks a lot for the response. Based on all the previous post that I have seen before, it seems that the people here is very cool :slight_smile:

For the OS:

pi@raspberrypi:~ cat /etc/os-release PRETTY_NAME="Raspbian GNU/Linux 10 (buster)" NAME="Raspbian GNU/Linux" VERSION_ID="10" VERSION="10 (buster)" VERSION_CODENAME=buster ID=raspbian ID_LIKE=debian HOME_URL="http://www.raspbian.org/" SUPPORT_URL="http://www.raspbian.org/RaspbianForums" BUG_REPORT_URL="http://www.raspbian.org/RaspbianBugs" pi@raspberrypi:~

How I installed, Node-RED
I basically followed the official instructions and entered this command:

bash <(curl -sL https://raw.githubusercontent.com/node-red/linux-installers/master/deb/update-nodejs-and-nodered)

After the installation basically everything was working fine. This is a Raspberry working with an card that was imaged just days ago, it's basically a clean installation. (there was something a bit strange at the beginning: when I selected an Item I could not delete it by pressing delete, I needed to double click and then click on delete. Could it be that the installation had something wrong since the beginning?)

Which nodes is it complaining about?
These ones, dear Colin:

The workspace contains some unknown node types:
** mqtt out*
** mqtt in*
** debug*
** switch*
Are you sure you want to deploy?

Also, I was thinking that this could be useful:
This is what I see when I start Node-RED:

pi@raspberrypi:~ pi@raspberrypi:~
pi@raspberrypi:~ $ node-red-pi --max-old-space-size=256
31 Jan 09:33:53 - [info]

Welcome to Node-RED

31 Jan 09:33:53 - [info] Node-RED version: v1.2.7
31 Jan 09:33:53 - [info] Node.js version: v12.20.1
31 Jan 09:33:53 - [info] Linux 5.4.83-v7+ arm LE
31 Jan 09:33:54 - [info] Loading palette nodes
31 Jan 09:33:55 - [warn] ------------------------------------------------------
31 Jan 09:33:55 - [warn] [node-red/debug] SyntaxError: Invalid or unexpected token
31 Jan 09:33:55 - [warn] [node-red/complete] SyntaxError: Invalid or unexpected token
31 Jan 09:33:55 - [warn] [node-red/catch] SyntaxError: Invalid or unexpected token
31 Jan 09:33:55 - [warn] [node-red/status] SyntaxError: Invalid or unexpected token
31 Jan 09:33:55 - [warn] [node-red/link] SyntaxError: Invalid or unexpected token
31 Jan 09:33:55 - [warn] [node-red/comment] SyntaxError: Invalid or unexpected token
31 Jan 09:33:55 - [warn] [node-red/unknown] SyntaxError: Invalid or unexpected token
31 Jan 09:33:55 - [warn] [node-red/switch] SyntaxError: Invalid or unexpected token
31 Jan 09:33:55 - [warn] [node-red/change] SyntaxError: Invalid or unexpected token
31 Jan 09:33:55 - [warn] [node-red/template] SyntaxError: Invalid or unexpected token
31 Jan 09:33:55 - [warn] [node-red/delay] SyntaxError: Invalid or unexpected token
31 Jan 09:33:55 - [warn] [node-red/mqtt] SyntaxError: Invalid or unexpected token
31 Jan 09:33:55 - [warn] [node-red/httpin] SyntaxError: Invalid or unexpected token
31 Jan 09:33:55 - [warn] [node-red/httprequest] SyntaxError: Invalid or unexpected token
31 Jan 09:33:55 - [warn] [node-red/tcpin] SyntaxError: Invalid or unexpected token
31 Jan 09:33:55 - [warn] [node-red/udp] SyntaxError: Invalid or unexpected token
31 Jan 09:33:55 - [warn] [node-red/CSV] SyntaxError: Invalid or unexpected token
31 Jan 09:33:55 - [warn] [node-red/HTML] SyntaxError: Invalid or unexpected token
31 Jan 09:33:55 - [warn] [node-red/XML] SyntaxError: Invalid or unexpected token
31 Jan 09:33:55 - [warn] [node-red/YAML] SyntaxError: Invalid or unexpected token
31 Jan 09:33:55 - [warn] [node-red/sort] SyntaxError: Invalid or unexpected token
31 Jan 09:33:55 - [warn] [node-red/batch] SyntaxError: Invalid or unexpected token
31 Jan 09:33:55 - [warn] [node-red/watch] SyntaxError: Unexpected token '*'
31 Jan 09:33:55 - [warn] ------------------------------------------------------
31 Jan 09:33:55 - [info] Settings file : /home/pi/.node-red/settings.js
31 Jan 09:33:55 - [info] Context store : 'default' [module=memory]
31 Jan 09:33:55 - [info] User directory : /home/pi/.node-red
31 Jan 09:33:55 - [warn] Projects disabled : editorTheme.projects.enabled=false
31 Jan 09:33:55 - [info] Flows file : /home/pi/.node-red/flows_raspberrypi.json
31 Jan 09:33:55 - [info] Server now running at http://127.0.0.1:1880/
31 Jan 09:33:55 - [warn]

Your flow credentials file is encrypted using a system-generated key.

If the system-generated key is lost for any reason, your credentials
file will not be recoverable, you will have to delete it and re-enter
your credentials.

You should set your own key using the 'credentialSecret' option in
your settings file. Node-RED will then re-encrypt your credentials
file using your chosen key the next time you deploy a change.

31 Jan 09:33:55 - [info] Waiting for missing types to be registered:
31 Jan 09:33:55 - [info] - mqtt-broker
31 Jan 09:33:55 - [info] - mqtt out
31 Jan 09:33:55 - [info] - mqtt in
31 Jan 09:33:55 - [info] - debug
31 Jan 09:33:55 - [info] - switch
Waiting for missing types to be registered^C31 Jan 09:35:05 - [info] Stopping flows
31 Jan 09:35:05 - [info] Stopped flows
pi@raspberrypi:~ pi@raspberrypi:~

Any feedback is welcome, thanks a lot.
Omar C

I would say that you have a corrupted configuration. What SD-Card are you using? Also, what power supply on the Pi?

The SD-Cards on the Pi's are vulnerable to corruption if using a poor quality card or a power supply that does not have enough "umph". Or possibly a poor quality USB lead if you are using a USB power supply.

Dear @Colin
A quick update to let you know that I after uninstalling the package that I added, I just reinstalled the Node-RED, with this command

bash <(curl -sL https://raw.githubusercontent.com/node-red/linux-installers/master/deb/update-nodejs-and-nodered)

The good news is that now everything is like it was at the begining: All the standard nodes are working fine again, but I don't have what I wanted to add ("node-red-contrib-zigbee2mqtt" )

I wanted to install it again and I noticed this:

Installing 'node-red-contrib-zigbee2mqtt'
Before installing, please read the node's documentation. Some nodes have dependencies that cannot be automatically resolved and can require a restart of Node-RED.

So indeed, it seems that I need to do some extra steps after the 'node-red-contrib-zigbee2mqtt' is added. I'm checking the documentation (node-red-contrib-zigbee2mqtt (node) - Node-RED) and I still don't see anything :confused:

=> How could I know what should be done to have everything working after this 'node-red-contrib-zigbee2mqtt' is added?

Thanks a lot.

That is a standard warning. The documentation for that node does not indicate any pre-installation requirements.

9 people have bothered to give it a 5* rating on the flows site so it would seem to be working and stable for most people.

If you installed initially using the script you referenced then there is no way that installing a node through the palette manager should be able to cause the loss of core nodes. This is because the core nodes are in an area on disc that cannot be modified without sudo privileges.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.