Dashboard resets

I have a node red dashboard with a couple of Switches to enable and disable garden irrigation. By default these are disabled and I manually activate and set irrigation time context data values every time node red is started. Since I very seldom restart node red this isn't any problem. Now to the problem... my router has a problem and a need to reboot it every night to keep it fresh and fast. But every time the router is restarted node red dashboard seems to reset as well and I can not understand why node red is affected by the router reset more than losing connection for 1-2 minutes. Why is it the dashboard restarted and can I do anything to avoid this?

Where are you running the dashboard? Is it on the machine running node red?
On the machine running node-red open a terminal and show the node-red log (on a Pi this would be using the command node-red-log). Then reboot the router. What do you see in the node-red-log as it reboots?

This is how the log locks like but I cannot see what's wrong. Would appreciate help understand this.

12 Jul 07:37:54 - [red] Uncaught Exception:
12 Jul 07:37:54 - Error: getaddrinfo EAI_AGAIN hooks.slack.com
at GetAddrInfoReqWrap.onlookup [as oncomplete] (dns.js:60:26)
npm ERR! code ELIFECYCLE
npm ERR! errno 1
npm ERR! addon-node-red@ start: node $NODE_OPTIONS node_modules/node-red/red.js "--settings" "/etc/node-red/config.js"
npm ERR! Exit status 1
npm ERR!
npm ERR! Failed at the addon-node-red@ start script.
npm ERR! This is probably not a problem with npm. There is likely additional logging output above.
npm ERR! A complete log of this run can be found in:
npm ERR! /root/.npm/_logs/2020-07-12T05_37_54_194Z-debug.log
[07:37:54] INFO: Starting Node-RED...

addon-node-red@ start /opt
node $NODE_OPTIONS node_modules/node-red/red.js "--settings" "/etc/node-red/config.js"
12 Jul 07:37:55 - [info]
Welcome to Node-RED
===================
12 Jul 07:37:55 - [info] Node-RED version: v1.0.5
12 Jul 07:37:55 - [info] Node.js version: v12.15.0
12 Jul 07:37:55 - [info] Linux 5.4.43 x64 LE
12 Jul 07:37:55 - [info] Loading palette nodes
12 Jul 07:37:57 - [info] Dashboard version 2.20.0 started at /endpoint/ui

As you can see node red is crashing and restarting, hence the dashboard reset.

That looks like a very unusual system, what OS are you running and how did you install?

The crash appears to be to do with slack.com. is there something in your flows related to slack?

Yes I have Slack Node that sends a message for several events. This usually have no problems and works fine.

The system is Home Assistant in a docker environment and VMware fusion.

Thanks!

For some reason the DNS lookup for that slack address failed. That shouldn't bring down that node (and then Node-RED) but does, so should be reported to the author of that node, as an issue.

The DNS is failing because the router is being re-booted so the the internet is temporarily unavailable. As dceejay says it is a bug in the node that it causes node-red to crash. Make sure you have the latest version of the node installed and if you have then all you can do is to submit an issue against it. Assuming there is not one already.

1 Like

Will update the Node and report if still there.

Many thanks for the fast response and help! :pray:

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.