Datathon using IoT Creator( Customized Nod-red )

Microfacturing Institutes is conducting a IoT Datathon where contestants can submit their project flows and win $5000 .The free trial is for a full year after the Datahon. There are multiple IoT Creator Datathons and each time you participate you can extend your free trial.
Keep in mind that this is a not for profit educational foundation and it is linked to the UCSC (University of California - Santa Cruz) - so they are real, not in for the money and will stick around. Their goal is to expose Node Red to more people and close the skills gap between the educational systems and the industry - it's for a good cause and you can win the prize
Please see the details below.

So if I read the terms and conditions correctly, I’d have to pay $25 to register and if the event is canceled you keep the money and anything I submit I agree to transfer the rights to you.

I’ll pass.

2 Likes

This is a non profit organization and donation cannot be refunded .
Also all donation goes as prize money.

My manger sponsor first 100 contestants who need sponsorship ie no need to pay if anyone wants to
try sponsorship route. .

If the only way someone can submit a project is to send money, it seems to me to be a non-refundable entry fee.

And there is still the issue that anyone submitting a project gives up ownership of their work.

Like I said, I'll pass.

Considering your feedback we made the entry free of cost .
Included the link again .Please see the prize detail in the link below.

1 Like

I'm always wary of things that don't really say what the core is that they are using, IOT Creator has no mention of node-red. Not a based on, or expanded on.

You created a cloud based user service around node-red.............Now that line I could get behind.

For any one who wants to know more about this tax exempt company.
https://www.orgcouncil.com/ein/611897273

https://apps.irs.gov/app/eos/detailsPage?ein=611897273&name=Microfacturing%20Institutes%20Inc.&city=Palo%20Alto&state=CA&countryAbbr=US&dba=&type=CHARITIES,%20DETERMINATIONLETTERS&orgTags=CHARITIES&orgTags=DETERMINATIONLETTERS

1 Like

Does this mean that the use of IoT Creator is not free? The Free Trial is free until when? I haven't seen how long the trial period lasts.

Datathon entry is free and it includes one year free subscription. .

Thanks for providing it .

My question was about using the "personalized" Iot Creator Node-Red service on the cloud (not to mention Datathlon): how long is the free trial? Will it become chargeable?

The free trial is for a full year after the Datathon. There are multiple IoT Creator Datathons and each time you participate you can extend your free trial.
Keep in mind that this is a not for profit educational foundation and it is linked to the UCSC (University of California - Santa Cruz) - so they are real, not in for the money and will stick around. Their goal is to expose Node Red to more people and close the skills gap between the educational systems and the industry - it's for a good cause and you can win the prize.

1 Like

Because of Section 4.5 of the 'Terms and Conditions', I would not participate

4.5 ​Participant hereby assigns and transfers and agrees to assign and transfer to MI all right, title, and interest in and to Participant’s User Content and consequently MI will have all rights to copy, edit, publicly display, modify, distribute, license, make derivative works, sublicense, publish and otherwise use, in whole or in part, any User Content, in any manner without further compensation during or after the Datathon. At MI’s request and expense, Participant will assist and cooperate with MI in all respects to execute documents, and will take such further acts reasonably requested by MI to enable MI to acquire, transfer, maintain, perfect and enforce its intellectual property rights and other legal protections for the Submission. Participant hereby appoints the officers of MI as Participant’s attorney-in-fact to execute documents on behalf of Participants for this limited purpose.

3 Likes

This is for a good cause and a not for profit educational foundation. I am happy to share and support students and the next generation of Node Red users.

Call me cynical, call me judgemental, just don't call me late to lunch. But I have to go with @zenofmud on this one. Calling yourself educational, calling yourself non-profit doesn't mean you are. Especially these days with the internet being able to influence so much. I have no inside knowledge of, nor any previous knowledge of that organization but their terms and conditions don't smack to me of being non-profit nor educational. It's not that I have any good coding skills where I would submit some fantastic flow or idea so for me personally I wouldn't sign up anyway but over the years I have seen numerous, numerous shady dealings. Again, I'm not calling them anything but I would definitely do a LOT more homework before I'd submit anything there.
[EDIT]
anyone remember when Microsoft said any code you wrote with visual studio belonged to them?

@keepitsimple Are you conected with the organization in any way, shape or form??

In the posts you've made in three other threads, they are all pushing/mentioning this "Datathon' or the organization. No answers to other's questions, no issues of your own....

I don't know anything specific about the organisation behind the hackathon, but I do know one of the people involved is an ex-IBMer who I've crossed paths with in the past.

As with all events of this type, there are terms and conditions involved. You may or may not like those terms, but I have to say they are terms very similar to those I've seen used at plenty of other events.

It isn't necessarily ideal how they went about promoting it by spamming lots of threads about their service, but let's just let it be.

It's an event that may be of interest to some in the community. If it isn't of interest to you, then fine - no need to tell us, just mark the thread read and move on.

Regardless of the particulars, it's great to see organisations promoting Node-RED and hackathons are a great way to give people an excuse to try it out and see what they can do with a real goal in mind.

If you have questions about the event, I'm sure @josekavunkal would be more than happy to respond to direct messages.

1 Like

Is it normal that one would transfer all rights to the organisers, rather than just the right to use it? As I read it one would not be able to separately use the work oneself, or publish the project with one of the open source licenses, but perhaps I misunderstand the wording.

I have seen those sorts of terms before, yes. They aren't my preferred terms, but there you go. These events are as much about building interesting things on the platform hosting it and part of the trade-off is the organising company wanting to be able to showcase what was built, and in my experience, that leads to the lawyers wanting fairly onerous language in the T&Cs.

If you have anything else to ask, please direct it to @josekavunkal

Yes .Please feel free to send direct messages to me and I am rather happy to give answers to all your question .I am proud to be part of this event on Node-red as it is a prestigious product supported by IBM. When we develop any product at IBM managers used to says "Product should have Node-red experience " in that . Love to promote Node-red.