Debug messages disappear after 1hr

I have a situation that I only found reference to about 4 years ago so hopefully this might be re-addressed.
I've had 6 flows running on Node Red Dashboard flawlessly four about 2 years. I wanted to duplicate a flow for a bench test of the hardware associated with one of the flows. I created an additional flow, similar to the original changing the names of some nodes to keep things orderly. The flow reads a sensor running with an esp8266, reporting 2 numbers via an mqtt broker to a dashboard To keep the flow from interfering with the original, I disabled the output to the dashboard and enabled an output to the debug node. With the debug nodes enabled, after reseting the esp8266 I indeed got the debug messages on the side panel. After the readings are sent, the esp8266 then goes into a deep sleep mode to conserve battery power. After ~1 hour it wakes and repeats the cycle. But just before the end of the speep cycle, the debug messages it sent disappear. Since they report date and time, I really hoped I could keep a running log to determine battery longevity. Anyone know why this is happening? Thanks

There is a limited space where the debug messages are stored.

I have/had a similar problem.

I have the debug set to show current flow only and sometimes I would see the messages slowly vanishing.

I was told that is because there is limited space for the messages.

See this thread:

Thanks for the Reply Andrew, in my case there's only one (2 item) debug post...

So no other debug nodes anywhere else - active?

(just checking)

If you have the debug selected in the edit screen there are 3 options.
ALL FLOWS
CURRENT FLOW
and
SELECTED NODES

Which of these do you have?

(again, just asking.)

Configure the debug node to Output to Console, then it will also go to the node-red log. Assuming you are using a debian based system (such as ubuntu or pi) and installed using the recommended script then you can see the node red log since the last boot using
journalctl -b -u nodered
or you can see the last 100 lines using
journalctl -n 100 -u nodered

Well I hardly know what to say. I shut everything (Node Red, VS Code, and Pi term all watching the flow of data, and the test ESP) down to retire for the night. This am I brought it all back up, and I don't see the problem. But I do like your idea Colin of outputing to the console. Seems like a better way to store thank guys for the help!

There is also node-red-contrib-flogger which can be very useful for this sort of situation.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.