Does Node Red requires TLS1.2 as a pre-requisites to connect to SQL DB?

Hello NodeRed Users/Developers,
We have SCADA application which generates high frequency alarms/events and stores in local SQL database. 1. We would like to know whether Node-RED module requires TLS 1.2 as a pre-requisites to read data from remote SCADA SQL DB? 2. Also Does Node-RED supports exception reporting i.e. whenever there is new alarm/event recorded in SQL DB, this needs to be published to ODBC client? 3. Can we install Node-RED on SCADA application machine? Will it cause any SCADA or OS performance issues? Which OS are the supported by Node-RED? 4.Can anyone please share relevant user manuals? Please forgive me for my questions here, as I do not have any experience in Node-RED.

1 Like
  1. It depends on the node-red module you pick for integrating with your database, but most provide different levels of security, from unsecured to the latest security standards.
  2. Node-RED is an event-driven application. In this case, you would query the database or create a trigger mechanism to alert that there is a new alarm. It would be ideal to have the alarms in parallel sent directly to Node-RED and or an MQTT Broker.
  3. Node-RED can be installed on Windows, Linux, and Apple computers. If installing Node-RED on a SCADA solution like WinCC is a concern and the OEM has strict rules about installing solutions on the same system, I would recommend either installing it on a separate server or running Docker. Node-RED doesn't require many resources.
  4. Here is the documentation, but you can also find many YouTube videos and blogs online.

If you need help with this, let me know. Many professional services can guide you. Additionally, I work at FlowFuse, which manages your Node-RED deployments at scale for industrial use cases.

2 Likes

Thank you @gdziuba for sharing these insights! I will go through the online material as suggested by you.

1 Like