FYI got an issue after installing linter plugin

..could be completely unrelated to that action and I am using @TotallyInformation alternate install

There is something wierd going on !

This orig was a 1.3.5 alternate isntall but I upgraded it to 2.x.x a while ago and in the editor it says its on 2.1.3

but it looking at 1st post log - something somewhere still thinks its a 1.3.5 install !

I think I'm going to need @TotallyInformation to come along and investigate this before going any further

You may have two different versions installed. Maybe one locally and one globally, and the editor is running the new one.

I do have two different versions installed but I'm only running the alternate install one.

its been running fine like this for at least a week

When you connect the editor (which shows 2.1.3), which port are you using?
Clear the cache and refresh the page and make sure it still shows 2.1.3.

Def the right port 11880 which shows it is the alternate install and not the standard 1880

Also - good call on the refresh
now showing 1.3.5

Thank goodness I have the earlier screengrab to prove that it was at 2.1.3 beforehand :slight_smile:

Is the other one the normal global install? If so then what version do you think that is? Check using
npm list -g node-red

I'm thinking that this is some sort of negative interaction between the linter plugin install and @TotallyInformation alternate install

But how/why it's reverted the alternate install to 1.3.5 is a mystery

Did you intentionally upgrade the global one to 2.1.3?

IIRC - I imaged a new card for this Pi4 a few weeks ago and used standard installer script.

Don't remember updating it to 2.1.3 so I'm thinking 2.1.3 was out at the time I did this

I had a 1.3.5 alternate install running on my Win 10 and I wanted to see if I could upgrade it to 2.x.x so I copied the whole folder across and then upgraded it to 2.x.x - went through a lot of pain (as you can imagine) but got it all (mostly - issues with lame and serialport still) working and its been my main workhourse since then

All been running 99% good

Just checked and the standard install is at 2.1.3

What does npm list node-red from your .nr135test folder show? Do you have any other folders that you run node-red in? If so, what does it show from them?

Not running any other NR instances on this machine

Well I cannot imagine how it could be reverted.
Silly question, I know, probably, but you are connected to the right pi aren't you? I ask the question from bitter experience :slight_smile:

I know what you mean :slight_smile:

The ip of the the pi is 192.168.0.204 so def the right one in the editor

And running if config in the same terminal window that I'm working from says its 192.168.0.204 so I think I'm OK with that

Is one installed in /use/lib/node_modules (global) and one in .node-red/node_modules (local) ?

I was just trying something out so I'll talk about that first

I decided to copy whole .nr135test folder to a new .213 folder
ran
npm install --production --unsafe-perm node-red (info gleaned from main alternate installer thread)

and it updated it to 1.3.7
so I re-ran with
npm install --production --unsafe-perm node-red@2.1.3
and it is back up to 2.1.3 and operational again

Don't know - how do I check?

From the .node-red folder run
npm list node-red
to see if you have a local one there. You already ran the global list to see the globally installed one (which is 2.x).

Running a local install sets the major version in package.json. When doing an updated, always do npm install node-red@latest --production --unsafe-perm

Otherwise, you will always get a version in the same major version you previously had installed.

Obviously, make sure you cd to the correct folder first.

If you've used my alternate installer, you should see the right upgrade commands listed in package.json scripts.

1 Like