German Translation

Hi there,

I'm in the process of creating German translations for the core UI and run-time elements.
a) Just wondering about potential tests before submitting a pull request ?
b) what additional nodes would be beneficial too ?
- dashboard
- ???

Cheers
Joerg

The only real tests for translation we have are a) user feedback and b) i18n.nodered.org which is a visual inspection after publishing so yes please to the PR.

But note it should be targeted against the dev branch on github not master as dev is where new features need to go.

Dashboard would be good, and there are a few core nodes in node-red-nodes project (.like serialport twitter etc), but concentrate on the core first.

Step one:
set the environment correctly: set LANG=de-DE
(it looks like npm does not catch my windows language settings correctly)

now it uses the messages from runtime/locales/de/runtime.json

Willkommen bei Node-RED

1 Dec 10:05:55 - [info] Node-RED Version: v0.19.5-git
1 Dec 10:05:55 - [info] Node.js Version: v6.10.3
1 Dec 10:05:55 - [info] Windows_NT 6.1.7601 x64 LE
1 Dec 10:06:00 - [info] Palettenknoten werden geladen
1 Dec 10:06:07 - [warn] rpi-gpio : Raspberry Pi-spezifischer Knotenset inaktiv
1 Dec 10:06:15 - [info] Dashboard version 2.10.0 started at /ui
1 Dec 10:06:15 - [warn] ------------------------------------------------------
1 Dec 10:06:15 - [warn] [node-red/tail] Wird derzeit unter Windows nicht unterstĆ¼tzt.
1 Dec 10:06:15 - [warn] ------------------------------------------------------
1 Dec 10:06:15 - [info] Einstellungsdatei: C:\Users\xx.node-red\settings.js
1 Dec 10:06:15 - [info] Kontextspeicher: 'default' [ module=memory]
1 Dec 10:06:15 - [info] Benutzerverzeichnis: C:\Users\xx.node-red
1 Dec 10:06:15 - [warn] Projekte inaktiviert: setze editorTheme.projects.enabled=true zum Aktivieren
1 Dec 10:06:15 - [info] Flow-Datei: C:\Users\xx.node-red\flows_xx.json
1 Dec 10:06:15 - [warn]

ok - perfect.
Are there any best practices for following changes to one of the language relevant files (e.g. messages.json or the node.html files) ?

Thanks
Joerg

Not really apart from being alert.. Which is why Nick created that i18n.nodered.org site to help make it easy..

This tool is only usable after a PR ?

I spent 33 years working in Germany, while I don't have the time for translations, I would be prepared to do some proof-reading if you need it Joerg.

1 Like

got it ...

1. clone https://github.com/node-red/i18n-viewer
  2. npm install
  3. create directory catalogs
  4. copy the locales directory (directories) to catalogs
  5. node index.js
  6. open your browser and connect to localhost:2880

Cool tool !!!
J.

That tool was a quick hack to help us see the various translations next to each other. The hosted version still relies on me running a script on the server to pull in any updates to keep it in sync with git. There is a lot more it could do if anyone wanted to contribute.

I hadn't envisaged people running it locally, so well done for getting it going yourself!

1 Like

so ... finished translation of the core nodes. Time for a PR ?
cheers
Joerg

2 Likes

source is here: https://github.com/jwende/node-red (dev branch)
J.

Now I need to look at some core nodes that are not in the core package (email, twitter, rbe, file, tail, entiment, feedparser)

Looks good @joerg_w, "Deploy" is a difficult one :slight_smile: . Well done, a lot of work!

Thats right ... there are a number of IT terms without a nice German translation imho....
J.

Hello together,

I'm a german node-red user and I found some missing or unsuitable german translations.
Due to the corona lockdown I like to spent my time to help improving it.
But before I start, I've some questions:

In the first iteration I like to translate all phrases, which are existing in english, but missing in german.
And then I like to improve some unsuitable german translations.
What is the best way to do it?
Should I write separate issues and create separate pull request for each unsuitable translations?
And who would like to review it?
I think, especially the unsuitable translation should be collected in one pull request at the end AFTER a review process.
What is your advice?

As I wrote above I would translate from english to german, which are the only both languages I know.
Is english the primary GUI language of node-red or could it be, that an other language has more entries than english?

I tried some i18n translation editor tools, but all of them performs are reformation und resort of the whole files.
The best editor I found is BabelEdit (https://www.codeandweb.com/babeledit), because it can also show the java/json source locations, where the phrases are used.
With which tool are the node-red translation files edited (not only viewed)?

Regards and stay healthy!
Heiko

Hi,

best would be to either raise one issue with the items in question - or better still a Pull request - which we can then get reviewed - and discussed, modified as necessary, edited and merged. The Pull request can be marked as draft initially.

Yes the default language is English - though we have a lot of good translations for Japanese from the Hitachi team. German probably next - then Russian and Chinese.

Nick did write a i18n viewer tool - https://github.com/node-red/i18n-viewer - to help view the files side by side - but I must admit I haven't checked it in a while, so again that in itself could probably do with some improvements/extra features if anyone wants to help :slight_smile:

Good idea - you should check with other German users your translations. I did the first one two years ago and it results into some mixed emotions.
We've used a slack channel to discuss the translation or non-translation of some commonly used words (like node, deploy, flow) - so we may continue there.
I've never tried any i18n tools beside the one mentioned by Dave - this one gives you a good overview if your translation is complete.
Happy Christmas
Joerg

See PR - https://github.com/node-red/node-red/pull/2792

thanks Dave