HueMagic Problem

Hi there!

I have a huge problem...
I have Philips Hue bulbs, and for the past 3 days, after I updated the nodepalette for huemagic, my nodes don't work as they used to...

The problem is with the function node. I had them setup the following way:
Trigger-->function node: -->bulb or group of bulbs

msg.payload={
"on":[false],
"transitionTime":[10],
"brightness":[0],
}
return msg;

This example used to set the brightness to 0 in 10 seconds, dimming it slightly, THEN it turned off the bulb or group.
As far as I can tell, somehow after more than a year of usage, the boolean part ("on":[true]/[false]) doesnt want to register anymore.

If I split up the flow (which is already a problem...) to make it 2 seperate function nodes, one for dimming it down first (brightness, transitionTime, color etc), and one including ONLY the boolean value "false" (to turn off the lights) delayed with the value of transitionTime, it usually doesnt start dimming, but the delayed turning off function works fine.

WTF happened to these nodes, why can't I use the boolean together with other string/number etc. arguments anymore?

Does the node expect to given arrays? I would have expected it to take simple boolean or integer values rather than arrays. Are you using node-red-contrib-huemagic? We can't be certain which node you are using unless you tell us.

You say it stopped working, did you do anything at all at that time or was it just working one day and not the next without you doing anything at all?

Of course it is in an array, what you mean? Node-red all together is for that :smiley:

It CAN take simple boolean also ofc, but I thought I explained it thoroughly...

Since there is only literally 1 node with the name huemagic, yea, that's what I'm using.

I didn't say it stopped working...I wrote IF I left out from a function node the boolean part - which triggers the bulbs on or off) - than it does what it supposed to, but as soon as I include it again in the same function node, it stops working all together...

Literally the second sentence I wrote was,

I have Philips Hue bulbs, and for the past 3 days, after I updated the nodepalette for huemagic

This doesn't turn it off, yet BEFORE I updated the node-red-contrib-huemagic, it DID.
Not just that, seems to me that if I write a boolean into a function node,
this : "on":[false] doesnt work, only this "on":false works

Well all I can say is that looking at the description at https://flows.nodered.org/node/node-red-contrib-huemagic I can't see where it says you can pass an array.

I don't even understand why you started to answer me.

First you claimed things I didn't even write

Colin
You say it stopped working,

Never wrote this

Than you ask questions I already wrote down.

Now you claim I couldn't even use arrays - which I can, I wrote

This example used to set the brightness to 0 in 10 seconds, dimming it slightly, THEN it turned off the bulb or group.

.I wrote IF I left out from a function node the boolean part - which triggers the bulbs on or off) - than it does what it supposed to

Brother, why are you acting like this, not helping at all, stating things claiming I said something I actually never did, then belying me?

I have never claimed that you can't use arrays, just asked whether you could, and pointed out that I can't see anything in the node readme that says that you can.

I don't know what you are getting so stressed about, I am just looking at the readme. Perhaps the readme is missing information, or perhaps I am misreading it, I don't know. Can you point to the relevant section of the readme that does say you can pass arrays?

Man, you are just literally jumping up and down on an irrelevant problem, which has nothing to do with my initial problem, and doesn't make any sense...

Of course you can pass arrays, just as in other nodes, you have multiple ways of inputting data from one node to another. I already wrote it down 4 times that the flows I set up worked for over a year. Why you talking about a readme? :smiley:

Man, you don't want or can't help, no problem at all, but pls stop spamming nonsense...

So that suggests that (at least for this case) that an array doesn't work. Have you looked at the readme? That is after all the reference for how to use the node, and is always the the first place I look when something is not behaving as expected.

So you writing here as "help", to say that read the readme...thanks for that, already done that.

Perhaps I looking at the wrong readme, or the wrong bit of it. I see

I literally can not believe you....:smiley:

Bro, the readme contains instructions for "on" like 4 times...

Also, I already wrote to you, that a function node, as I showed before with pictures, worked before the update for over a year.

You are trying to help by not helping with anything, just arguing with me, that "according to the readme, what I say is not even possible".

Also, as you can see, the update for the contrib node is 3 days old. Obviously, they changed something, that's what I'm looking for, what and how they changed, and why I cannot use the same function node for input, altough I can, but only if it

1. contains anything BESIDES boolean data
  2. contains NOTHING BESIDES boolean data.

Wtf man.

If you were using it in an unexpected way then perhaps they modified it so that it now only works the way it is documented.

I hesitate to point you at more documentation, as you complained that all my help consisted of was doing just that. But did you check the open issues on the node, particularly this one?

1 Like

I swear, all of your comments seem to point towards you only write here to be able to claim later, that you "helped another fella" on the forums...

1. No you did not help anything with your first 5 posts.

2. You claimed plusieur times things I already answered in my very first, opening post.

3. You saying nonsense, like "using the node in an unexpected way". Javascript 101 is that you can write arrays, functions, actions etc. in a 100 different ways. Most of these ways 1to1 interchangeable.

Again, you actually seem like you here to write and claim some kind of a quota...

Please, someone else, help :smiley:

Yes, someone else please point out where I am going wrong here. Presumably I am missing something obvious. For example I didn't realise that anywhere you can use {on:false} you can use {on:[false]} and expect it still to work.

1 Like

Hi @MAaron,

I must admit I'm also struggling to see where in the readme it says you can send on as an array - all instances say it should be a boolean. As per the issue that @colin pointed at there did seem to be quite a few changes between 2.7.x and 2.8.0 and that may have changed the way he was handling the input, and it was just fortunate that [false] (and/or "false" as reported per the issue) were being getting compared correctly.

Hopefully the author will fix the issue he has introduced - but in the meantime you could either revert to version 2.7.2 - or fix your function to return a boolean.

2 Likes

You belying me AGAIN, man, I wrote you dm, answer there, this is ridiculous.

Never have I ever wrote anywhere, that

you can use {on:false} you can use {on:[false]} and expect it still to work.

I precisely said the opposite:

"on":[false] doesnt work, only this "on":false works

And just to end your misery here, pointing to this:

Is the exact same problem I have, go there please, and write them all, that you can not, and were never even supposed to be able to use only 1 function node to control every argument of the bulbs...

We care about the readme as that is the only information we have to try to get inside the mind of the guy who wrote the node, as we aren't all lucky enough to have all the possible hardware that exists and can be used with Node-RED. The fact that is now broken is perhaps something you need to take up with the author - though once again we think that the issue linked may have also be the same so he may well know about it.

We have suggested two ways you can make it work again - either revert to the old working version or change your flow - so that is all the help we can offer in general. When and if the author fixes it, then you may also get the third option of upgrading to the fixed version.

There is nothing more to be done here.

2 Likes

Man, I did NOT expect you to solve the problem, especially if you are NOT familiar with the contrib node...but if you are not, don't spam threads with nonsense like

it should be a boolean

or

If you were using it in an unexpected way then perhaps they modified it so that it now only works the way it is documented.

after I already pointed out, in the very first post, that I had no problem using arrays...

If you want to revert to the previous version then go to your .node-red folder and run
npm install node-red-contrib-huemagic@2.7.2
and restart node-red.

2 Likes

Well yes, the user who raised this issue on GitHub seems to have found a workaround without being unpleasant about it. You could do the same, or encourage author of the node to make changes, or both.

1 Like