Installing udmx node

if i wat to install the npm i node-red-contrib-udmx node i get a error.
does sombody know why?
i am using a rbp 3b.

Because something has gone wrong? :upside_down_face:

If you post the actual error someone might be able to suggest what to do. Without the error, it would only be guesswork. But also please include the versions of Node-RED, node.js (listed on start-up message of Node-RED) and which platform you are running on

Hi Ukmoose,

see info below

usb@1.5.0 install /home/pi/.node-red/node_modules/node-red-contrib-udmx/node_modules/usb
node-pre-gyp install --fallback-to-build
node-pre-gyp WARN Using request for node-pre-gyp https download
node-pre-gyp WARN Tried to download(404): https://github.com/tessel/node-usb/releases/download/1.5.0/usb_bindings-v1.5.0-node-v57-linux-arm.tar.gz
node-pre-gyp WARN Pre-built binaries not found for usb@1.5.0 and node@8.11.1 (node-v57 ABI, glibc) (falling back to source compile with node-gyp)
make: Entering directory '/home/pi/.node-red/node_modules/node-red-contrib-udmx/node_modules/usb/build'
CC(target) Release/obj.target/libusb/libusb/libusb/core.o
CC(target) Release/obj.target/libusb/libusb/libusb/descriptor.o
CC(target) Release/obj.target/libusb/libusb/libusb/hotplug.o
CC(target) Release/obj.target/libusb/libusb/libusb/io.o
CC(target) Release/obj.target/libusb/libusb/libusb/strerror.o
CC(target) Release/obj.target/libusb/libusb/libusb/sync.o
CC(target) Release/obj.target/libusb/libusb/libusb/os/poll_posix.o
CC(target) Release/obj.target/libusb/libusb/libusb/os/threads_posix.o
CC(target) Release/obj.target/libusb/libusb/libusb/os/linux_usbfs.o
CC(target) Release/obj.target/libusb/libusb/libusb/os/linux_udev.o
../libusb/libusb/os/linux_udev.c:40:21: fatal error: libudev.h: No such file or directory
#include <libudev.h>
^
compilation terminated.
libusb.target.mk:132: recipe for target 'Release/obj.target/libusb/libusb/libusb/os/linux_udev.o' failed
make: Leaving directory '/home/pi/.node-red/node_modules/node-red-contrib-udmx/node_modules/usb/build'
make: *** [Release/obj.target/libusb/libusb/libusb/os/linux_udev.o] Error 1
gyp ERR! build error
gyp ERR! stack Error: make failed with exit code: 2
gyp ERR! stack at ChildProcess.onExit (/usr/share/node-gyp/lib/build.js:276:23)
gyp ERR! stack at emitTwo (events.js:126:13)
gyp ERR! stack at ChildProcess.emit (events.js:214:7)
gyp ERR! stack at Process.ChildProcess._handle.onexit (internal/child_process.js:198:12)
gyp ERR! System Linux 4.9.59-v7+
gyp ERR! command "/usr/bin/node" "/usr/bin/node-gyp" "build" "--fallback-to-build" "--module=/home/pi/.node-red/node_modules/node-red-contrib-udmx/node_modules/usb/src/binding/usb_bindings.node" "--module_name=usb_bindings" "--module_path=/home/pi/.node-red/node_modules/node-red-contrib-udmx/node_modules/usb/src/binding" "--napi_version=1" "--node_abi_napi=napi" "--napi_build_version=0" "--node_napi_label=node-v57"
gyp ERR! cwd /home/pi/.node-red/node_modules/node-red-contrib-udmx/node_modules/usb
gyp ERR! node -v v8.11.1
gyp ERR! node-gyp -v v3.4.0
gyp ERR! not ok
node-pre-gyp ERR! build error
node-pre-gyp ERR! stack Error: Failed to execute 'node-gyp build --fallback-to-build --module=/home/pi/.node-red/node_modules/node-red-contrib-udmx/node_modules/usb/src/binding/usb_bindings.node --module_name=usb_bindings --module_path=/home/pi/.node-red/node_modules/node-red-contrib-udmx/node_modules/usb/src/binding --napi_version=1 --node_abi_napi=napi --napi_build_version=0 --node_napi_label=node-v57' (1)
node-pre-gyp ERR! stack at ChildProcess. (/home/pi/.node-red/node_modules/node-red-contrib-udmx/node_modules/usb/node_modules/node-pre-gyp/lib/util/compile.js:83:29)
node-pre-gyp ERR! stack at emitTwo (events.js:126:13)
node-pre-gyp ERR! stack at ChildProcess.emit (events.js:214:7)
node-pre-gyp ERR! stack at maybeClose (internal/child_process.js:925:16)
node-pre-gyp ERR! stack at Process.ChildProcess._handle.onexit (internal/child_process.js:209:5)
node-pre-gyp ERR! System Linux 4.9.59-v7+
node-pre-gyp ERR! command "/usr/bin/node" "/home/pi/.node-red/node_modules/node-red-contrib-udmx/node_modules/usb/node_modules/.bin/node-pre-gyp" "install" "--fallback-to-build"
node-pre-gyp ERR! cwd /home/pi/.node-red/node_modules/node-red-contrib-udmx/node_modules/usb
node-pre-gyp ERR! node -v v8.11.1
node-pre-gyp ERR! node-pre-gyp -v v0.11.0
node-pre-gyp ERR! not ok
Failed to execute 'node-gyp build --fallback-to-build --module=/home/pi/.node-red/node_modules/node-red-contrib-udmx/node_modules/usb/src/binding/usb_bindings.node --module_name=usb_bindings --module_path=/home/pi/.node-red/node_modules/node-red-contrib-udmx/node_modules/usb/src/binding --napi_version=1 --node_abi_napi=napi --napi_build_version=0 --node_napi_label=node-v57' (1)
npm WARN This failure might be due to the use of legacy binary "node"
npm WARN For further explanations, please read
/usr/share/doc/nodejs/README.Debian

npm ERR! usb@1.5.0 install: node-pre-gyp install --fallback-to-build
npm ERR! Exit status 1
npm ERR!
npm ERR! Failed at the usb@1.5.0 install script.
npm ERR! This is most likely a problem with the usb package,
npm ERR! not with npm itself.
npm ERR! Tell the author that this fails on your system:
npm ERR! node-pre-gyp install --fallback-to-build
npm ERR! You can get their info via:
npm ERR! npm owner ls usb
npm ERR! There is likely additional logging output above.
npm ERR! System Linux 4.9.59-v7+
npm ERR! command "/usr/bin/node" "/usr/bin/npm" "install" "--save" "--save-prefix=~" "--production" "node-red-contrib-udmx@1.0.6"
npm ERR! cwd /home/pi/.node-red
npm ERR! node -v v8.11.1
npm ERR! npm -v 1.4.21
npm ERR! code ELIFECYCLE
npm ERR!
npm ERR! Additional logging details can be found in:
npm ERR! /home/pi/.node-red/npm-debug.log
npm ERR! not ok code 0

i am using node red version: v0.19.3

You have an ancient version of npm, you are on 1.4.21, the latest is 6.x. Since it seems you are on a pi then, assuming you are running Raspbian, I suggest updating everything using the recommended pi install/upgrade script in the docs
https://nodered.org/docs/hardware/raspberrypi

After you have upgraded.... then the main error is that there is library missing so it won't compile...

../libusb/libusb/os/linux_udev.c:40:21: fatal error: libudev.h: No such file or directory
#include <libudev.h>
^

so you need to do

sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get install libudev-dev

then retry the install

sow i did the upgrade and did the sudo and now i am able do instal it.
thanks to you all

1 Like

sow i orderd a usb dmx dongle to work with the udmx node.
now i have the problem that the udmx node does not reccunice the usb dongle.
i think i have to instal the drives for the usb dongel.
can you tell me how to do that?

i’d start by googling the name of the usb dongle you have bought and linux

Sow i googled it but i can not find a linux driver.
sow probelley i orderded the wrong usb dmx dongle.
can somebody tell me witch dongle will work with the udxm node and a raspberry pi?