Installing udmx node

if i wat to install the npm i node-red-contrib-udmx node i get a error.
does sombody know why?
i am using a rbp 3b.

Because something has gone wrong? :upside_down_face:

If you post the actual error someone might be able to suggest what to do. Without the error, it would only be guesswork. But also please include the versions of Node-RED, node.js (listed on start-up message of Node-RED) and which platform you are running on

Hi Ukmoose,

see info below

usb@1.5.0 install /home/pi/.node-red/node_modules/node-red-contrib-udmx/node_modules/usb
node-pre-gyp install --fallback-to-build
node-pre-gyp WARN Using request for node-pre-gyp https download
node-pre-gyp WARN Tried to download(404): https://github.com/tessel/node-usb/releases/download/1.5.0/usb_bindings-v1.5.0-node-v57-linux-arm.tar.gz
node-pre-gyp WARN Pre-built binaries not found for usb@1.5.0 and node@8.11.1 (node-v57 ABI, glibc) (falling back to source compile with node-gyp)
make: Entering directory '/home/pi/.node-red/node_modules/node-red-contrib-udmx/node_modules/usb/build'
CC(target) Release/obj.target/libusb/libusb/libusb/core.o
CC(target) Release/obj.target/libusb/libusb/libusb/descriptor.o
CC(target) Release/obj.target/libusb/libusb/libusb/hotplug.o
CC(target) Release/obj.target/libusb/libusb/libusb/io.o
CC(target) Release/obj.target/libusb/libusb/libusb/strerror.o
CC(target) Release/obj.target/libusb/libusb/libusb/sync.o
CC(target) Release/obj.target/libusb/libusb/libusb/os/poll_posix.o
CC(target) Release/obj.target/libusb/libusb/libusb/os/threads_posix.o
CC(target) Release/obj.target/libusb/libusb/libusb/os/linux_usbfs.o
CC(target) Release/obj.target/libusb/libusb/libusb/os/linux_udev.o
../libusb/libusb/os/linux_udev.c:40:21: fatal error: libudev.h: No such file or directory
#include <libudev.h>
^
compilation terminated.
libusb.target.mk:132: recipe for target 'Release/obj.target/libusb/libusb/libusb/os/linux_udev.o' failed
make: Leaving directory '/home/pi/.node-red/node_modules/node-red-contrib-udmx/node_modules/usb/build'
make: *** [Release/obj.target/libusb/libusb/libusb/os/linux_udev.o] Error 1
gyp ERR! build error
gyp ERR! stack Error: make failed with exit code: 2
gyp ERR! stack at ChildProcess.onExit (/usr/share/node-gyp/lib/build.js:276:23)
gyp ERR! stack at emitTwo (events.js:126:13)
gyp ERR! stack at ChildProcess.emit (events.js:214:7)
gyp ERR! stack at Process.ChildProcess._handle.onexit (internal/child_process.js:198:12)
gyp ERR! System Linux 4.9.59-v7+
gyp ERR! command "/usr/bin/node" "/usr/bin/node-gyp" "build" "--fallback-to-build" "--module=/home/pi/.node-red/node_modules/node-red-contrib-udmx/node_modules/usb/src/binding/usb_bindings.node" "--module_name=usb_bindings" "--module_path=/home/pi/.node-red/node_modules/node-red-contrib-udmx/node_modules/usb/src/binding" "--napi_version=1" "--node_abi_napi=napi" "--napi_build_version=0" "--node_napi_label=node-v57"
gyp ERR! cwd /home/pi/.node-red/node_modules/node-red-contrib-udmx/node_modules/usb
gyp ERR! node -v v8.11.1
gyp ERR! node-gyp -v v3.4.0
gyp ERR! not ok
node-pre-gyp ERR! build error
node-pre-gyp ERR! stack Error: Failed to execute 'node-gyp build --fallback-to-build --module=/home/pi/.node-red/node_modules/node-red-contrib-udmx/node_modules/usb/src/binding/usb_bindings.node --module_name=usb_bindings --module_path=/home/pi/.node-red/node_modules/node-red-contrib-udmx/node_modules/usb/src/binding --napi_version=1 --node_abi_napi=napi --napi_build_version=0 --node_napi_label=node-v57' (1)
node-pre-gyp ERR! stack at ChildProcess. (/home/pi/.node-red/node_modules/node-red-contrib-udmx/node_modules/usb/node_modules/node-pre-gyp/lib/util/compile.js:83:29)
node-pre-gyp ERR! stack at emitTwo (events.js:126:13)
node-pre-gyp ERR! stack at ChildProcess.emit (events.js:214:7)
node-pre-gyp ERR! stack at maybeClose (internal/child_process.js:925:16)
node-pre-gyp ERR! stack at Process.ChildProcess._handle.onexit (internal/child_process.js:209:5)
node-pre-gyp ERR! System Linux 4.9.59-v7+
node-pre-gyp ERR! command "/usr/bin/node" "/home/pi/.node-red/node_modules/node-red-contrib-udmx/node_modules/usb/node_modules/.bin/node-pre-gyp" "install" "--fallback-to-build"
node-pre-gyp ERR! cwd /home/pi/.node-red/node_modules/node-red-contrib-udmx/node_modules/usb
node-pre-gyp ERR! node -v v8.11.1
node-pre-gyp ERR! node-pre-gyp -v v0.11.0
node-pre-gyp ERR! not ok
Failed to execute 'node-gyp build --fallback-to-build --module=/home/pi/.node-red/node_modules/node-red-contrib-udmx/node_modules/usb/src/binding/usb_bindings.node --module_name=usb_bindings --module_path=/home/pi/.node-red/node_modules/node-red-contrib-udmx/node_modules/usb/src/binding --napi_version=1 --node_abi_napi=napi --napi_build_version=0 --node_napi_label=node-v57' (1)
npm WARN This failure might be due to the use of legacy binary "node"
npm WARN For further explanations, please read
/usr/share/doc/nodejs/README.Debian

npm ERR! usb@1.5.0 install: node-pre-gyp install --fallback-to-build
npm ERR! Exit status 1
npm ERR!
npm ERR! Failed at the usb@1.5.0 install script.
npm ERR! This is most likely a problem with the usb package,
npm ERR! not with npm itself.
npm ERR! Tell the author that this fails on your system:
npm ERR! node-pre-gyp install --fallback-to-build
npm ERR! You can get their info via:
npm ERR! npm owner ls usb
npm ERR! There is likely additional logging output above.
npm ERR! System Linux 4.9.59-v7+
npm ERR! command "/usr/bin/node" "/usr/bin/npm" "install" "--save" "--save-prefix=~" "--production" "node-red-contrib-udmx@1.0.6"
npm ERR! cwd /home/pi/.node-red
npm ERR! node -v v8.11.1
npm ERR! npm -v 1.4.21
npm ERR! code ELIFECYCLE
npm ERR!
npm ERR! Additional logging details can be found in:
npm ERR! /home/pi/.node-red/npm-debug.log
npm ERR! not ok code 0

i am using node red version: v0.19.3

You have an ancient version of npm, you are on 1.4.21, the latest is 6.x. Since it seems you are on a pi then, assuming you are running Raspbian, I suggest updating everything using the recommended pi install/upgrade script in the docs
https://nodered.org/docs/hardware/raspberrypi

After you have upgraded.... then the main error is that there is library missing so it won't compile...

../libusb/libusb/os/linux_udev.c:40:21: fatal error: libudev.h: No such file or directory
#include <libudev.h>
^

so you need to do

sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get install libudev-dev

then retry the install

sow i did the upgrade and did the sudo and now i am able do instal it.
thanks to you all

1 Like

sow i orderd a usb dmx dongle to work with the udmx node.
now i have the problem that the udmx node does not reccunice the usb dongle.
i think i have to instal the drives for the usb dongel.
can you tell me how to do that?

iā€™d start by googling the name of the usb dongle you have bought and linux

Sow i googled it but i can not find a linux driver.
sow probelley i orderded the wrong usb dmx dongle.
can somebody tell me witch dongle will work with the udxm node and a raspberry pi?