Is it just me, or is 'red' on the dashboard a bit orange?

This got out of hand quick. :laughing:

1 Like

Lets not start talking about orange versus brown.

1 Like

This discussion tickled me, I was a colourist, among other things, before I retired.
Our eyes can discern around 10 million shades. In my entire career I came across thousands of shades of red alone.

2 Likes

The things that get you guys fired up... LOL! Here is the screen screen print...

I tried 3 different browsers and 4 different monitors... the color is fairly consistent across all noted. One monitor is a bit warmer than the others, but they all represent the default 'red' in the dashboard as, IMHO, a bit orange. I would call 'red' fire engine red which to my eye has a bit more of blood red coloring than this screen print which to me is more of fire-brush red, if you are familiar with the plant?

If anyone wonders... this is a picture of my smart plug status in NR... Teal/White ON, Teal/Black OFF, Red (cough)/Black, device OFF-LINE.

Is it me, or does your Teal look a little greenish? :nerd_face:

3 Likes

That red is definitely red, no question about it. Perhaps your monitor or your ambient lighting is off?

Find something that looks red when you are outside on a cloudy day then hold it against the screen and take a photo.

LOL.... is this a US versus UK thing? I did notice something... it is the to some degree the browser(s). When I pull up the graphic in a paint program... the red is Red, less orange. But the same graphic in the browser has a bit more orange.

As I noted, I tried this across multiple monitors and browsers. I would say it just my 'eyes' but given the difference between the rendering via paint program versus browsers, not so.

LOL! There is SO MANY ways I could reply to that statement!

1 Like

So, can you photograph it? If there really is a difference, it should show up. Of course, best done with a camera that supports RAW format but if it is noticeable to the eye, it should show up on a camera.

Yeah.... will do that this weekend. Just happen to be away at the moment. But there is definitely a difference between browser, and Microsoft paint app, paint app looks redder, browser a bit of orange for for the same screen print.

If you put Node-RED and Paint side by side and take a screenshot of the full screen (keyboard printmscreen button and the open Paint, create a new image and paste). Do the colors look different then?

For me, with chrome browser (same thing with Edge) on win10. Node Red run on RPI3B, I note strange things with the color red on the icons of the dashboard:

That's how colors in hard contrast behave for human eye. Nothing node-red specific. Pure nature.

Yeah, it is not my eye, was able to qualify not NR... On the same monitor, I know this because the 'red' in the MS paint program is 'redder' and looks 'more correct' as red, then the 'red' in the browsers. If it was my eye... regardless of the application, the single monitor would present a consistent result that was less 'red' and more 'orange' in shade.

Maybe it’s the Bezold effect ? https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=2TVjWv0JsU0

1 Like

What an interesting suggestion. But no... no animation in the examples where I see the orange artifact specific to the browser color rendering divergence from a truer red.

It’s not about animation. It’s about the colours next to each other, changing your perception of them. The animation is just to show you they are in fact the same. (In that video).

I was referring to the examples I posted. :slight_smile:

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.