NGinx attempting to load when flows startup - I don't use NGinx-What is Happening?

Platform: Raspberry Pi 4
Node Red version: 2.16
Node.JS: 16.13.2 (see discussion)

Hello,

I don't use NGinx; however NGinx always attempts to load when Node Red flows initiated. I am using Node Red in conjunction with "Home Assistant."

To isolate the problem I did a 100% minimalist rebuild installing only Home Assistant , and Node Red.
After installation, When I started Node Red from the fresh install, the first thing Node Red did was try to load NGinx. I do not use NGinx and cannot find the root cause for why Node Red wanted to load. Eventually the NGinx load command times out and Node Red loads and seems to be functional.

Note: I did not specifically install Node.JS. I did not see it as prerequisite. I am not sure of Node.JS status. I found a reference for "node-red-contrib-home-assistant-websocket" which was automatically installed as part of the Node Red build. Did this cover the Node.JS prerequisite?

Cheers,

Craig

Below is the Red Node Log

[s6-init] making user provided files available at /var/run/s6/etc...exited 0.
[s6-init] ensuring user provided files have correct perms...exited 0.
[fix-attrs.d] applying ownership & permissions fixes...
[fix-attrs.d] done.
[cont-init.d] executing container initialization scripts...
[cont-init.d] 00-banner.sh: executing... 
-----------------------------------------------------------
 Add-on: Node-RED
 Flow-based programming for the Internet of Things
 Add-on version: 10.3.4
 You are running the latest version of this add-on.
 System: Home Assistant OS 7.2  (aarch64 / raspberrypi4-64)
 Home Assistant Core: 2021.12.10
 Home Assistant Supervisor: 2021.12.2
 Please, share the above information when looking for help
 or support in, e.g., GitHub, forums or the Discord chat.
[cont-init.d] 00-banner.sh: exited 0.
[cont-init.d] 01-log-level.sh: executing... 
[cont-init.d] 01-log-level.sh: exited 0.
[cont-init.d] customizations.sh: executing... 
[cont-init.d] customizations.sh: exited 0.
[cont-init.d] nginx.sh: executing... 
[cont-init.d] nginx.sh: exited 0.
[cont-init.d] node-red.sh: executing... 
patching file nodes/ui_base.html
Hunk #1 succeeded at 1162 (offset 631 lines).
up to date, audited 18 packages in 2s
3 packages are looking for funding
  run `npm fund` for details
found 0 vulnerabilities
[cont-init.d] node-red.sh: exited 0.
[cont-init.d] done.
[services.d] starting services
[services.d] done.
[11:21:39] INFO: Starting Node-RED...
> start
> node $NODE_OPTIONS node_modules/node-red/red.js "--settings" "/etc/node-red/config.js"
28 Jan 11:21:42 - [info] 
Welcome to Node-RED
===================
28 Jan 11:21:42 - [info] Node-RED version: v2.1.6
28 Jan 11:21:42 - [info] Node.js  version: v16.13.2
28 Jan 11:21:42 - [info] Linux 5.10.63-v8 arm64 LE
28 Jan 11:21:44 - [info] Loading palette nodes
28 Jan 11:21:50 - [info] Dashboard version 3.1.4 started at /endpoint/ui
28 Jan 11:21:51 - [info] Settings file  : /etc/node-red/config.js
28 Jan 11:21:51 - [info] Context store  : 'default' [module=memory]
28 Jan 11:21:51 - [info] User directory : /config/node-red/
28 Jan 11:21:51 - [warn] Projects disabled : editorTheme.projects.enabled=false
28 Jan 11:21:51 - [info] Flows file     : /config/node-red/flows.json
28 Jan 11:21:52 - [info] Server now running at http://127.0.0.1:46836/
28 Jan 11:21:52 - [info] Starting flows
28 Jan 11:21:52 - [info] Started flows
**[11:21:52] INFO: Starting NGinx...**
28 Jan 11:21:57 - [info] [server:Home Assistant] Connecting to http://supervisor/core
28 Jan 11:22:02 - [info] [server:Home Assistant] Connecting to http://supervisor/core
28 Jan 11:22:07 - [info] [server:Home Assistant] Connecting to http://supervisor/core
28 Jan 11:22:09 - [info] [server:Home Assistant] Connected to http://supervisor/core

node-red in no way requires nor imposes NGINX

I am not certain if this is something HA adds or requires (you would need to as on HA forums)

Are you using the features of HA or is it that you are installing HA to get node-red?

If you are not particularly interested in HA, then I would recommend installing node-red using the installer script outside of HA

I am new to both Home Assistant & Node Red. I am just trying to follow where the logs are taking me.

Node Red is compelling to me as a visual development process. I spent years making flow Visio charts for applications. Making the charts come alive... Home Assistant is compelling for its ability to integrate and maintain status for individual devices across network(s). I am hopefully leveraging strengths of both.

I am testing out Node Red and it is impressive, and I am only touching the tip of Node Red capability. It is a whole new way of thinking. I like it. It only took me three hours from first "Pi" flash to build sequences that solved several "challenge tests"
Admittedly, my knowledge of both products is limited. In fact I am one dumb bunny... :slight_smile: so I am quite not sure how I would inquire of "Home Assistant" the following question: Why is Node Red generating a Log entry citing a someone else's application?

Cheers,

Craig

i

I imagine there is an HA forum you can ask on. When you use HA with the HA node red plugin, node red is installed and run in a non-standard way, which is why it is difficult for us to help

I don't use NGinx;

Well you do if you install home-assistant and node-red as an add-on and nodejs is required for node-red.
I would recommend to remove the add-on and install node-red separately - if you want to use it.

Look like homeassistant use GitHub - hassio-addons/addon-node-red: Node-RED - Home Assistant Community Add-ons this repo for node-red docker image.
When you running that image GitHub - just-containers/s6-overlay: s6 overlay for containers (includes execline, s6-linux-utils & a custom init) in the container run some script, then start nginx and node-red.

sudo systemctl list-unit-files | grep nginx

If you see that it is enabled you can disable it...

sudo sytemctl stop nginx

and then

sudo sytemctl disable  nginx

That should stop it from starting at boot.

Regards

And then node-red won't work anymore in his/her HA setup.

I don't use NGinx; however NGinx always attempts to load when Node Red flows initiated. I am using Node Red in conjunction with "Home Assistant."

The only reason to load Nginx with home assistant is to access Node-Red UI via reverse proxy on port 443 from the internet. If your going to to that you also need a TLS encryption certificate.

Either shut off Nginx and access the ui via local port 1880 or set up a proper internet access method using TLS on port 443.

@mick nginx seems to be installed for the reasons you explained
His node-red (running as an addon on HA) is running on internal port 46836 and not the default 1880

Sounds like he needs to go to HA forums to sort it out.

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.