Nice(?) and cheap ESP32+Colour display

Yes, you can. It was rare to pay either on deliveries from AliExpress prior to Brexit. It all changed afterwards since VAT now applies to everything, not just things over a certain value & the cost of doing business with the UK has sky-rocketed due to excessive additional red-tape crossing multiple economic boundaries.

2 Likes

@dynamicdave I believe these are now supported in openHasp, which is probably the easiest way to get it working with NR.

+1 for the remoaners :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

UK might have led the way with the abolition of low value consignment relief but I believe the EU rapidly followed suit.
So from the point of view of Aliexpress VAT there is nothing to be gained by living in Spain.

2 Likes

And to be fair, the days of such ultra low-costs from China were probably numbered anyway. It was nice while it lasted.

1 Like

My cheap yellow display dropped through the letterbox today.

This one is the 2.4" capacitive touch https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005005927578360.html

It came with the plastic box and a wire: 4pin tiny PCB plug to dupont (what's that PCB connector called?), USB C socket and absolutely no documentation.
I was pleasantly surprised on plugging it in to find it's flashed with an English language example, buttons to switch between three mock web pages.

Now I just have to program it...

3 Likes

Well how rude! You got yours already and mine is still in transit. :frowning:

See my links above for documentation.

The Sheffield Effect? :crazy_face:

yeah - all those hills to get the van up...

1 Like

True, good point. And all the way up-hill from China to here!

If it's any comfort, I confidently predict you will have yours doing useful work way before mine.

The courier tried to deliver mine this afternoon - but I was out, so had a failed delivery.
Hope they come back on Tuesday and try again.

EDIT: Arrived on Tuesday afternoon. Plugged-in USB lead, applied power and found a mini website demo.

Ah, well .... you haven't seen my desk which has ESP devices all over it waiting for upgrades (and maybe even cases!) :flushed:

2 Likes

Oh - so we are getting into whos desk has got more stuff on it (war/competition)?

1 Like

There can be only One :slight_smile:
I'm lucky if I can get to my mouse :slight_smile:

1 Like

Wait! You can find your mouse on your desk?? You are awesome!

1 Like

@TotallyInformation I can see your 3d printer being handy here...

I'm saving up for my retirement. :slight_smile: I see a Bambo X1 Carbon in my future! Mrs K. has already been prepped.

Until then, I'll use up my collection of random tins and plastic cases - I rescued an old video camera cassette case recently which would be a nice case. I've a few proper project cases too that I've never used.

I'm not sure if I still have a desk under there :rofl: :rofl:

2 Likes

[edit] turns out it - it was already in the porch :slight_smile:

Just printing off a case for it

3 Likes