🎉 Node-RED 1.1.0-beta.1 released

Hi, I have found if you open the help sometimes its not populated until you click another tab

Steps to re-produce...

• close sidebar
  • refresh browser
  • use CTRL+SPACE or action list "show help tab" or RED.sidebar.help.show() or RED.sidebar.show("help") to
  • click debug tab button or context

Additionally this happens with the info panel too

Another observation

• if I ALT-TAB to another window, the info panel populates (redraws?)
    rede-red-v1.1.0b

NOTES

• Windows 10 2004 build
  • Latest chrome
  • node-red latest V1.1.0 (running from source - including all recent merges)

LASTLY

• is SHIFT+? supposed to open the shortcuts?

EDIT...

• the ALT-TAB thing happens in Edge too (so not chrome related)
  • the no help thing also happens in Edge

You win the prize for the "I wonder who will notice that" bug.

2 Likes

That'd be a strange default as in many keyboards you'll need to press shift to get a question mark.

Nick / Dave,

I notice nodes now permit \n new lines.

I didn't notice this in the change log so its either a nice side effect or you forgot to mention it?

V1.0.6...

V1.1.0...

3 Likes

I believe this was in the full change list. (didn't double check though)

In the Change Log from Post #1?

I did scan it twice (I'm not saying i didnt miss it)

EDIT: This comment

[info-sidebar] Handle node/group/flows with \n in their name

kinda implies they were handling some affect in the side bar but not that nodes appearance would now render newlines.

Just thought it worth mentioning.

1 Like

Yep, mixed it with that one. Seems like a side effect. Although it'd be odd why sidebar would handle those if the editor wouldn't.

It's a change that just missed the 1.0 cut off and was merged in a couple days later. So it's been sat there for 6 months and to be honest, I forgot that it hadn't already shipped. The entry in the change log was getting the sidebar etc caught up.

Can anyone else verify this? Or is it just my problem?

I am seeing that with this version it takes about twice as long to load the editor in the browser. With 1.0.6 it takes about two seconds, with the beta it takes about 4.5 seconds. That is running both node-red and the browser (Waterfox) on Ubuntu 19.10 on an i5. Switching between the versions shows a consistent difference.

Hi @Colin - can you give a sense of how large your workspace is? Rough number of tabs, nodes etc?

The introduction of the outliner does mean there is more work to do when loading up the editor initially - and there is probably still some room for optimisation there. This is also one of the reasons we introduced the progress bar on loading - is there a particular point on the progress bar where it pauses?

I have 17 tabs (several of which are disabled) and about 100 nodes I should think. It seems to take about about equal times loading nodes, loading flows and adding flows.

Hi @Colin, @knolleary. I am seeing the same behaviour. 14 tabs, 110 nodes. Projects is enabled.

platform: macOS 10.14.6 2.5 Ghz 8GB memory
20 tabs - 850 nodes (per flow inspector - 637 are ui_spaces nodes!)
v1.0.6 startup 3 seconds
v1.1.0-beta.1 startup 8 seconds

Is it possible that the progress bar itself could be part of the problem?

For comparison, I've just tried it with one of our bigger projects at work on my local machine.

• Flow stats: tabs: 33, subflows: 18, nodes: 5061
  • Platform: Win10, Core i7-7700K, 32GB memory
  • Browser: Chrome 83.0.4103.97 (Official Build) (64-bit)
  • v1.0.6 startup: 3-4 seconds
  • v1.1.0-beta.1 startup: 8-10 seconds

IMO, no big deal for the huge benefit of the new outliner. And the progress bar gives a nice feedback that work is being done instead of just blocking the UI.

The outliner in conjunction with groups will be a killer feature for these kind of projects we have to deal with. Especially that it reflects nested groups in the tree structure. A huge gain for a clean overview and flow structure. :nerd_face:

Some additional ideas regarding the outliner:

• a "collapse all" button for the tree
  • display the node type (especially if it should replace the "configuration node" sidebar)
  • automatically reflect the node selection of the workspace in the outline and vice versa; preferably to be toggled with a button, similar to the link with editor feature of the Eclipse IDE

All in all, a very impressive update. I am really looking forward to this next version! Thank you. :slightly_smiling_face:

3 Likes

Minor glitch - maybe nothing to do with the beta - just random cosmic rays? :slight_smile:

I was not getting anything out of port 2 (or 1) when msg.payload was "phone is ringing" - tried several times

Attached the debug nodes (they weren't there in first place) and msgs started coming out of port 2

[edit] I'm now starting to wonder about the logic that I've put in place![/edit]
[edit2]I think the logic is OK :slight_smile: [/edit2]

I'm re-reporting this glitch as I can't see it in the list of known issues - is it just me that's getting it?

I haven't been able to reproduce it. It certainly is weird - something is triggering the browser's native drag/drop.

Tried it out using my Win10 Chrome browser instead of my Pi4

Not as repeatable as I first reported but its there