🎉 Node-RED 1.1.0-beta.1 released

The 'tool tip' for the info tab says 'Node information'
Screen Shot 2020-06-05 at 5.28.05 AM

Thanks - have added to the list. Will investigate the edit behaviour - nothing has intentionally changed in this area, but the whole touch-screen experience doesn't get much testing from us and has always been a bit of an after thought.

Just like it always has... but it is a bit anachronistic, so will update.

Well, you will get more now as I tend to do all my forum reading/posting on a tablet and I'll often need to test some flows or ideas while I'm at it.

1 Like

Yes now that devices such as the ipad pro are around i definitely think we will see more and more people using nodered from touch screen devices. I for one love using Nodered with one :see_no_evil:

Personally I find it quite a struggle on a 10" screen, having to occasionally rotate the screen to either fit the sidebars or node settings dialog. But I do it anyway for some reason. I guess I'm just too lazy to get up on my computer. But this is drifting off topic... :slightly_smiling_face:

:slight_smile: We look forward to some pull requests to go along with your new position of chief touch interface tester !

7 Likes

But I will hastily add that I've fixed all of your touch-related issues locally (not pushed to git yet) so we don't need PRs for them.

2 Likes

But this would mean I'd need to leave the comfort of my tablet! I have been looking at the code with this in mind in the past to be honest. But so far it has seemed too intimidating to take a shot. Perhaps watching a few more of Nick's great live streams will give the required boost in confidence... :smile:

3 Likes

Have I missed something?

I've installed Node-RED 1.1.0-beta.1 but still get missing configurations on nodes that are in groups.
If I click on each node and update the ones that have a pink background and deploy, they all revert to unassigned state as soon as I 'stop' and 'restart' Node-RED.

NR is running on a RPI-4B 4GB and was previously running v.1.0.6

I dont think it was pushed to the beta.1 version

I thought it was... reading this line-item from Nick.

We haven't published a new version with those fixes in.

Thanks Nick for the clarification.
I'll wait patiently and explore all the other 'goodies' in the new release.

Thanks for doing such a great job with the current release of Node-RED.

The admin cli seems to throw an error. Running 1.1.0-beta.1 on a RPi 4 with the latest Raspbian. I've installed NR with sudo npm install -g --unsafe-perm node-red@next.

$ node -v
v14.3.0
$ node-red admin
Usage:
   node-red-admin <command> [args] [--help] [--userDir DIR] [--json]

Description:
   Node-RED command-line client

Commands:
   target  - Set or view the target URL and port like http://localhost:1880
   login   - Log user in to the target of the Node-RED admin API
   list    - List all of the installed nodes
   info    - Display more information about the module or node
   enable  - Enable the specified module or node set
   disable - Disable the specified module or node set
   search  - Search for Node-RED modules to install
   install - Install the module from NPM to Node-RED
   remove  - Remove the NPM module from Node-RED
   hash-pw - Creates a hash to use for Node-RED settings like "adminAuth"

TypeError: Cannot read property 'catch' of undefined
    at Object.<anonymous> (/usr/lib/node_modules/node-red/red.js:20:57)
    at Module._compile (internal/modules/cjs/loader.js:1200:30)
    at Object.Module._extensions..js (internal/modules/cjs/loader.js:1220:10)
    at Module.load (internal/modules/cjs/loader.js:1049:32)
    at Function.Module._load (internal/modules/cjs/loader.js:937:14)
    at Function.executeUserEntryPoint [as runMain] (internal/modules/run_main.js:71:12)
    at internal/main/run_main_module.js:17:47

Edit: It seemed to run node-red admin install <package> just fine though.

node-red-admin 0.2.6 published with the fix.

Previously the node-red command used to expect any parameter passed to be the name of a flows file to use. Isn't it potentially confusing that this has changed? I see that the old behaviour still exists, provided the name of the flows file is not admin. Is it going to be even more likely that users will expect to use node-red start to start node-red?

Nothing has changed but for the one exception of the word admin. I decided that, on balance, the risk was pretty low that someone would be using a flow file called just admin. In the unlikely case that does cause a clash, they can rename their flow file to admin.json or literally any other word.

Running node-red start does start node-red - just not, in the specific case of the Pi, start it as a service. As a source of confusion, that already exists. This won't do anything to change that.

Plus it looks for a flows file called start.

I am not entirely convinced, but time will tell.

I reinstalled node-red@next and can confirm it's fixed, thanks. Fast fingers... and on Saturday(!), don't you guys ever rest? :slightly_smiling_face:

The used command is
node-red admin

The help says as usage
node-red -admin

I may be wrong, but should the usage changed to the new way without the dash?