Node red remote access

Hi All,

Im trying to Controll a raspberry Pi with node red on via a remote location , the PI is connected to a mobile router with a good data plan but I want to be able to remote in and activate the UI on the node red from another location.

Many thanks

If you do a search on the forum you should find many queries like this. The short answer is yes it can be done, but if you don't know what you are doing you could open the Pi and anything else on that network to hacking.

It will only be accessible by me , so won’t be a issue

The PI is connected to a mobile router

Does your SIM Provider offer fixed IP address' - In the UK at least, mobile data SIM cards do not have a dedicated (or even dynamic) IP Address', as the 'outgoing' IP is shared with 1000's of other users.

We are mere peasants, when it comes to the network stack in SIM' designed for mobile broadband.
as the assigned IP is not accessible over WAN.

It will only be accessible by me

How so? if its exposed over the internet (and the above point is not an issue), how are you stopping connections that are not authorised, I assume you will employ NGINX or something of similar nature to authorise said connection?

Exposing Node RED to the Internet needs to be achieved with security at the forefront!

You may try remote.it (in which I have no interest). It's free for private access and has an api so you can build your own page to log in to the pi. On top of that, the pi is not accessable globally only if you log in through the portal. However, it requires that their client is installed on the raspberry.

You can set up a Zerotier account (a free one will suffice if you only have a couple of devices to connect.)

Create a network ID and connect each device to it.
Now your Pi will have a private virtual IP address such as 192.168.193.123 and you can access node-red remotely at 192.168.193.123:1880

2 Likes

Have a look at the node-red FAQs:

https://discourse.nodered.org/t/free-and-ssl-secured-access-to-your-node-red-instance-running-on-a-raspberry-pi/64112/5

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.