Node red to internet with 4G box and openvpn

I think you have found my problem ! I have try with firefox and loading time is very slow !

after 5 min, i have that:

But i don't really understand what is websocket, so how can i resolve this problem ?

@cyderbot971,

websocket is an extension to the HTTP protocol that allows for two way communication over a persistent connection. Since it's not using the HTTP connection in the "normal" way it is not unusual for the connection to be blocked by some monitoring software.

If I understand your routing correctly it's:

Phone (OpenVPN Client) => VPS (OpenVPN Server) => FlyBox => RPI (OpenVPN Client) => RPI (NodeRed)

The flybox should be innocent because all the traffic is passing through it encrypted. But the routing between the OpenVPN Client and Node Red is pretty suspect. Does NodeRed work if you connect to RPI over VNC?

Where is your phone getting the IP address and DNS settings for the Node-Red on the RPI?

yes,that's it!

When i connect to vnc i have access to node red with localhost:1880 or the ip adress give by the vpn (10.8.0.4).

i know the ip adress of rpi give by the vpn so i just write this adress on url on my phone or computer connected to the vpn.

@cyderbot971, There's a good chance the issue is OpenVPN dropping websocket connections. Was OpenVPN installed as part of a package (did it include any kind of firewall)?

Unfortunately I can't really help too much further. It might be worth seeking help on the OpenVPN forums, the users there might be able to point you to some config options. Otherwise, you could go with an alternate configuration using Ngrok or one of the other options suggested earlier in the thread.

Good Luck!!

Why arenĀ“t you using Remote-Red? or Tailscale ? way easier instead of all the diffucult hassle with setting up vpn tunnels bla bla bla, with above option you are set and done within 5 minutes

[moderator] Closing thread since it is 4 years old