Problems after update

Thanks afelix, but it doesn't look like a DCHP problem, the ip address of my pi is stable and I even assigned a fixed ip address and the problems remain the same.

What I meant is that these addresses were likely assigned in the past while it was still on DHCP. At home, Iā€™ve my laptop on DHCP and it always connects back to x.x.x.160. And thatā€™s okay because I donā€™t need it to be static, but it appears the router remembered it. If it would have connection issues though it might instead assign a local ip like one of the 169.254.x.x range.

What I meant to say as that these addresses are likely historical assignment, and that some node/config node/setting saved them somewhere and is trying to reconnect to them. Have you tried to launch node-red with a different userDir (thus fresh flows as if a new install) and see if the address errors still pop up?

Hi afelix:

I launched node-red with a different userDir and I get the same results???????

Found similar thread from Plex forum. May be you can find some clues

@rriosalido you said earlier that if you uninstall the wemo node, which I assume is node-red-node-wemo, that the problem goes away. Looking at the readme I see that it says "These nodes use the uPnP discovery". I wonder if it is to do with that.

Thanks hotNipi.

Yes it seems to be the same problem.

Thanks Colin:

Yes I'm using nodes-red-node-wemo. The uPnP discover my demo devices correctly, but
the issue is why the system try to discover or collect information from a number of IP addresses that are outside the range of my local network, my local network is 192.168.xxxx and all the addresses that appear in the log are not part of my local network.

Perhaps raise an issue against the node.

Hello, everybody:

I think I know what's going on. The wemo node is discovering (uPnP) devices outside my local network, probably from nearby wifi networks. This logically did not happen in my country house where I had the application deployed, but now, in an urban environment and surrounded by wifi networks, the system discovers numerous devices in addition to those of my local network. To test it I ran a python program from another computer and the result is that it detects all those strange addresses.

Thank you all very much and I'm sorry to have induced confusion with my post.

Ricardo

As far as I know it is not possible to detect devices on wifi networks that you have not connected with.

If that really is the case, there is something drastically wrong both with that network and with yours!

But the truth is a little more mundane I'm afraid.

The 169.254.0.0/255.255.0.0 network is typically used by devices when they cannot find a valid network. @afelix mentioned Windows and it is true that a laptop for example that brings up a network but cannot find a DHCP server to give it a valid address will auto-assign an address from this range.

By implication, I would guess that the router in your remote location has a different IP address than the one at home so when you plug in the pi at home, it fails to find a valid address? Or, given that this seems to be a upnp issue, perhaps whatever is doing the upnp discovery is doing that.

Hello, everybody again:

Thank you for your comments. It's certainly not locating devices outside my local network as I thought and pointed out TotallyInformation. The addresses were generated by an application that was running in a Docker container. Once I stopped the container, the messages stopped appearing.

Many thanks to all of you

And there is a good example of why I don't use Docker for the things that I do with Node-RED and similar technologies.

The more technology you throw in the way of a problem, the more it will eventually catch you out.

For me personally, it isn't hard to install things onto a Pi using apt-get and npm, I don't need or want another large infrastructure getting in the way. I've tried it and worked through what should have been some useful examples and then realised that it is unnecessary for the majority of use-cases.

Still, just my thoughts and somewhat off-topic perhaps so I'll shut up now.

4 Likes