Pure fun with Alexa and Alexa Skills

I have almost the same lights in my backyard ... but controlling em with zigbee2mqtt (as all my lights are) via the below device from Aliexpress

it already works with my flow (see above) :slight_smile: .. so much fun

1 Like

That looks like a nice piece of kit.

Some devices do not respond to the request !!

Hi everyone,

I have my basic flow established and it works fine for my ECHO and DOT devices in the house.

Unfortunately, the "ON DEVICE ACTIVITY" node is not getting triggered by the below devices ( the commands work on the above devices!)

• my mobile phone when using the Alexa App feature to give a command
  • Fire TV
  • Alexa Auto device

Has anybody else seen this behaviour ??

@xx_Nexus_xx - Interesting, I've never thought to specifically check those devices with ecolect. I don't have a fire tv, nor do I use my echo auto, but I could swear it was working on my iOS Alexa app in the past. Either way, it's certainly not working now.

One thing I've noticed for the past several days is that every time I give Alexa a command that's generally routed to ecolect, she says, "I'm not quite sure what went wrong." Then the thing happens and the ecloect response is output as expected. (This is why I'm so happy about your mute concept.) But, when I type or speak the same command to the Alexa app on my iPhone I get the same, "I'm not quite sure..." response, but the thing doesn't happen at all.

Adding to the mystery is I just discovered that when I speak or type a command to the iOS app that should work, such as "turn on the kitchen lights" I get an "ok" back from the Q&A skill (just like how I set it up) but the light doesn't come on. And I'm 100% sure that was working. :thinking:

Having said all of that, I've been having a lot of issues with the iOS Alexa app since I upgraded to my iPhone 14 Pro Max. The Alexa app isn't loading my devices and, while I've managed to find a workaround, Amazon has yet to fix it, despite having issued several app updates since then. I've seen on Reddit where other people are having the same issues as well.

Incidentally, the "I'm not quite sure..." responses started around the same time as I noticed the Alexa app issues. Related? Who knows?

Yes - nothing from a phone is picked up by the On Device Activity node ever since I started using it several years ago

1 Like

Bit of a general question... has anyone managed to interact with Alexa Reminders?

I have a Node-RED flow whereby I can 'inspect', 'add to' and 'delete' items on my shopping list and my ToDo list - but I can't find a way to interact with my Reminders.

Maybe this is not possible, I don't know.

Would be interested in any feedback from the forum.

Alexa other node, you can add/delete/change notifications alarm/reminder/timer

I'm using alexa-remote-fork. Is that the node you are talking about?

alexa-fork

I can't see a drop-down for alarm/reminder/timer.

alexa-other

If you select add or remove or change, you will then get option for which type.
You can also use get to get an array of all notifications.
You can use the notificationIndex property to id a notification.

2 Likes

Thanks.
How on earth did you find that - as it's well hidden ?
I would never have thought of going into that particular sub-menu.

I created a flow to set alarm via Alexa so i could get times and then create my own timer, I needed to cancel the alarm prior to it going off, so i could then start a soft wake alarm with light and radio fade. If the flow fails the Alexa alarm becomes a fail safe. I think it's in my nature to be inquisitive

3 Likes

@dynamicdave & @E1cid - I had no idea this was a thing. Here I go down another rabbit hole...

Thanks to @E1cid suggestion - had a very quick go at trying-out setting a Timer / Notification / Reminder.
Not quite sure what I'll do with these features (yet).

1 Like

Not sure if I've posted this before (please accept my apology if I have).
I have a NR flow that gets a daily weather report, from DarkSky, and sends it to a specific Alexa device.

2 Likes

Note from the Darksky website:
support for the Dark Sky API will end on March 31st, 2023

Thanks Paul - yes I spotted that fact a while ago and at the time it seemed a long way ahead.
The date is creeping-up on me, so I'll have to find another weather source.

I have moved over to the WeatherApi service :wink:

@xx_Nexus_xx how does that compare with https://openweathermap.org/ ?

sounds good ... i guess its worth a try

buenas noches, tengo un problema con el nodo de alexa home de node red, sucede que al momento de iniciar una prueba con mi alexa, no permanece conectado y de desconecta casi de inmediato, alguien sabe como resolverlo?

[added by moderator]
good evening, I have a problem with the alexa home node of node red, it happens that when I start a test with my alexa, it does not stay connected and disconnects almost immediately, does anyone know how to solve it?

@Jull - Most of the users here are english speakers so to encorage them to help you, in the future please use translate.google.com to translate your questions to english. Thanks!

la mayorĂ­a de los usuarios aquĂ­ son angloparlantes para alentarlos a que lo ayuden, en el futuro, use translate.google.com para traducir sus preguntas al inglĂŠs. ÂĄGracias!