Raspberry Pi 4 now available with 8GB

I have just had an email telling me that the Pi 4 is now available with 8GB. A bit pricey at £74 but might be of interest to some.

1 Like

The announcement made me drool even though I’ve no clue yet what I would do with it. Is this a sign of a raspi addiction?

3 Likes

I ordered one "just in case before they run out" :joy:. I'm just in the progress of moving Node-RED & various related home automation services from an Odroid C2 to a 4GB model. I thought why not have 8GB there already as I'm planning on running it the next 2+ years like previously with the Odroid.

The 4GB model can become the brains of cottage automation and the originally planned 2GB model can be used as a beefy Pi camera. :smile:

1 Like

It is worth to quote this part of the announcement from Raspberry Foundation:

Not to be left out, today we’ve released an early beta of our own 64-bit operating system image. This contains the same set of applications and the same desktop environment that you’ll find in our regular 32-bit image, but built against the Debian arm64 port.

Both our 32-bit and 64-bit operating system images have a new name: Raspberry Pi OS.

4 Likes

So if we are using the 4GB or 8GB variants of Raspberry Pi4B, is this still an appropriate precaution when installing/configuring node-RED?

"Due to the limited memory of the Raspberry Pi, you will need to start Node-RED with an additional argument to tell the underlying Node.js process to free up unused memory sooner than it would otherwise.

To do this, you should use the alternative node-red-pi command and pass in the max-old-space-size argument.

**node-red-pi --max-old-space-size=256**
``` "

If I remember correctly, the default value of max old space size is 2Gb. So if you're running on one of the more recent Pis with 4 or 8Gb, then it's less important.

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.