Whatsapp notifications node

Now that I think about it .... Aha! Thank you!

@alsak0de
If its vpn related then I can't use this whin node.
I can't load the vpn on my router as it makes some Chinese sites inaccessible or very slow, so I can't check or open port 30883. My local server is vpn connected all the time and my laptop and phone when required.
It's a shame but it looks like I will have to go back to using Telegram.

hi @rha10,

I still don't get the problem you're having, but makes perfect sense to keep using telegram. We have a bunch of stuff leveraging telegram bots, and we're not planning to migrate that to any other messaging platform :slightly_smiling_face: We're big fans of Telegram, it's way more open and powerful than any other alternative out there.

In fact, we created this nodes cause we needed to get into whatsapp a fraction of the (many) states we got on our telegram bots realm flows.

If this is also your case, check out this flow we shared some time ago to "connect" both realms:
telegram to whatsapp flow

have a nice day! :+1:

1 Like

Hi @lu4t ,

As mentioned before I live in China and to use WhatsApp or Telegram I need to use a VPN connection. I use an Rpi4 for my local server which via mqtt monitors and controls various IoT in my home, security cameras and calls "western" API's for weather, AQI and financial exchange rates and this server is permanently connected using ExpressVPN .
The whin-send node works a treat every time and is just what I wanted, but for some reason the whin-receive node will not "listen to whatsapp". Whether that is VPN related or port related I don't know.
Looking at the ExpressVPN details the only way I can setup or check if the port (30883) is allowed is to have the VPN loaded on my router and I can not do that.
@alsak0de asked me to try the 2 way messaging feature and provide feedback, I have tried and it would seem that for me it will not work.
Telegram suits all my needs but I would still prefer to use WhatsApp, my location and connection requirements are probably very different from the vast majority of node red users who are interested in this WhatsApp messaging feature, Chinese people are only interested in using WeChat.
I'm retired and have a lot of spare time so I'm happy to continue with this subject and provide feedback if you feel there is more we can do.
Thanks.

I get it now; but still, there's nothing meaningful on all you said that would prevent you from connecting to the outside world from you Rpi. Installing the vpn on the router, even if you could, would not make a difference in my view.

You should be able to check ports status (if they're available, opened or closed) from a terminal on your RPi. I would also check if UFW is started on the RPi,...

Anyhow, I do not see here anything related with whin-receive

I am not a VPN user, but I am happy to help you debug what's going on your end, all I ask is we keep that conversation out of this thread because I don't believe the community here is interested on that (send me a PM and we will take it from there).

Have a great weekend! :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

I was facing something similar and it was driving me crazy. Probably is not the same thing, but I'll share it anyway.
When whatsapp came out and I signed up, the cell phone numbers in my country were a 8 digit number. Sometime after, all phone numbers were updated with an additional digit as a prefix, so 9 in total. I had to remove the prefix and put only 8 digits to make it work.

Wow great app, love it,

A small error on node-red-contrib-whin

If you click on this link: https://wa.me/34613164997?text=signup all you need is click send from within whatsapp and you'll get your token

signup ---> Signup

Not sure what's wrong, from Node-red to phone works,
a text from phone wont get to Node-red.

a whin-confirm works.

Update;
If I send a msg from https://web.whatsapp.com/ it will arrive in Node Red
but it won't if I send a msg from the telefoon

There should be no difference between the whatsapp clients you use (web or phone app). You should be able to receive the whatsapps on node-red in either case.

If the problem persists, please open an issue on the repo and we'll have a closer look at it.

ALL WORKING NOW.
after a uninstall / install of whatsapp, keeping the date on the phone, same problem
after a uninstall / install of whatsapp DELETING 1.2Gb of data its working now

Love the Whin node thanks

I have tried using this flow node and it works very well,
and my question is.
Can I join bot to a group and give notifications to the group? thanks before!

Short answer is: no.

TL/DR:
This node works as a whatsapp shared gateway and we intentionally prevent the bot from sending a whatsapp to anyone who doesn't want to receive a msg from it. On the private version we use for our own self consumption it is joining a group and sending mgs to unknown numbers, but this is something we are not willing to activate on the number you use when you use whin.
See the project FAQ for more details.

1 Like

Ohh ok I see, thanks for the information

L&G,

We are moving WHIN infrastructure to rapidAPI because of the huge success of the service but also because we had to struggle with some service abusers and more control was needed so everybody can enjoy the service.

To that end, the existing nodes will be deprecated and a new version of the nodes will be released.
This will be a breaking change and v1 gateway will be deprecated.

You can start trying WHIN v2 through rapidAPI. While nodes are being released, you can start using the service with simple NR core nodes.

Take a look at this post and please share your thoughts.

Thanks!