Win7 vs Raspbian

Hi All,

I'm really new to N-R (and very old). Having problems sitting at my desk with the pi, but I have a Win7 laptop in a more comfortable setting. Can I use the Win7 version to build an app, then put on my pi? How does one move or copy the requisite files from one platform to another?

Thanks!

Russ

Hi Russ, I understand that everyone has different circumstances. But Win7 is no longer supported and that includes security updates. Best step would first be upgrade Windows. :cry: I'm old too!

Sorry, the only way I'd use anything later than Win7 is only as a host for a Win7 VM. Never had a hack, phish, ransomware, etc that Malwarebytes Pro didn't catch, and (besides ZoneAlarm) that's all I use. I've dabbled with v10 and find it totally useless, intrusive, obnoxious, etc. That's the problem with using kids to program a new OS. Never better, just...different. And like most old people, I don't do different unless it's notably better. Of course, it all boils down to different strokes for different folks...

Russ

Hi @RASelkirk, you can leave node-red on the pi & program it from your Windows 7 machine browser by entering the IP of the pi like this...

http://a.b.c.d:1880

Where a.b.c.d is the IP of the pi

2 Likes

A perfect case for using Linux, No Malware!

1 Like

[offtopic] I think a lot of us "older people" might disagree with that statement. I'm still learning, still trying new stuff, and still developing using the latest tools. Windows 10 is pretty solid, and a big improvement over 7 & 8 IMHO. [/offtopic]

1 Like

Elders, you must think Elders :slight_smile:

2 Likes

One of these old guys... Is there a NR node that makes us younger? [Cough] Anyone working on such?

1 Like

Well, thank you! I' never gave that a thought, but once you said it, makes perfect sense.

As for Windows, I've been using it since v3.0 and got really comfortable with it's "nuances" up through XP. Then all the permissions & security cr@p became quite the drag even though it was much more stable. Kicked up a fuss over v7 but came to like it after spending a couple weeks getting all the little stuff ironed out. Bought a v10 laptop, tried it for a week and absolutely hated it. The interface looks like something designed by a 10 year old. Luckily, it had a roll-back option. I'm just tired of change I guess. Seems like every free minute around the house requires fixing something that's broke or otherwise unruly. Mostly electrical/electronic stuff that works when it wants to and works differently each time you use it. Things that make you go hmmmm. Been retired 10 years now, don't know I ever managed to do it all while working full time.

Anyway, sure wish I had the energy to deal with learning Linux good enough to use it every day!

Russ

With a risk of being off-topic. As a 60yo with over 40y of experience in IT from IBM mainframes onwards, I'd say that W10 is by far the best of the bad bunch of OS's for the desktop.

Yes, it is complex but generally much easier to use than a Linux OS Desktop and much more flexible than an Mac OS Desktop. Obviously though, this depends on what you want a desktop OS to do.

For a server, I'd choose Linux every time. But for a desktop, W10. And yes, I have them all as I still need to be current in all desktops. I currently have at least 10 desktops and servers around me (I loose track of the actual number!) in my home office - ranging from Pi2 & 3 through Linux NAS and server (old laptop), through to Linux, Mac and at least 4 different W10 laptops (of various differing levels of corporate and non-corporate configuration).

Once you are used to W10, it is W7 that looks like a child's idea of an OS rather than the other way around :slight_smile:

As for updates - they ALL need regular updates sadly as do my mobile devices (I actively use both iOS and Android). None of them is better than another on that front. Though each has a slightly different approach and each has advantages and disadvantages.

Unfortunately, in this day-and-age, using an OS that is no longer under active support is a ticking timebomb. A bit like not using a face-mask in a public place, even if you don't care for your own safety, please at least consider other people's. Wear a mask - use a supported OS.

1 Like

THANKS, I can sit here in my easy chair much longer than the office chair. Didn't know it would be this easy!

Russ

2 Likes

The last OS I loved... was DOS 2.0. Oh, did I just date myself? LOL!

Bah, that is still PC. Personally the BBC Micro and Amiga OS's come about joint 1st :slight_smile:

1 Like

Oh, yeah... Video Toast!

Ah, memories. AmigaOS was a ground-breaking system, with a lot of features that weren't available in "more professional" systems. It was great to work on as well, although the occasional "Guru Meditiation" came up :slight_smile:

oh you young people, my favorite was a development board from Synertek the KIM-1. with 1K of ram! it was about the mid 1970's total freedom.... :sunglasses:

1 Like

Wait.... wait... somewhere in 'this' closet... I have a MacIIx and... where is it... THERE IT IS... My NeXT cube! Can't lose the NeXT cube! Someday it will be worth something on ebay! [Cough]

NeXT Cube, that is very cool, I always wanted one. :heart_eyes:

Over priced, barely existed... 99% of its existence was to push Apple into purchasing the object-oriented OS that Jobs paid to have developed. Jobs sunk a lot of $$$ to leverage against Apple. But, it paid off, Apple purchased the OS, and it became in major part the core of the MacOS we still have today, its heritage if you will. As for the NeXT hardware, Apple shelved it, but not completely, there were a few ideas in the NeXT hardware that seeded future Apple hardware characteristics. Call it a guide to their long term goals... which of course Jobs controlled with an iron fist, once Apple asked him to come back.

1 Like

Going even further off topic :wink: I saw a report the other day that the inventor of the mouse had died. My first thought was Doug Engelbart but he died a few years ago.

I hadn't heard of Bill English, but he took it from just an idea to a practical, working device. And of course Jobs, as he later admitted, "borrowed" a lot of ideas from the pioneering Xerox team.