Window object not available

I have developed a custom node, which is using some front end objects,

1 Mar 12:09:40 - [warn] [imodel-query/imodel-query] ReferenceError: window is not defined
0 Likes

The runtime portion of your node runs in the node.js runtime, not in the browser. This means none of the browser-specific globals, such as window, exist.

0 Likes

So, what if I want to use some front end library (which is using window object) in my custom node.
like, I drag an rest api node, and attach my custom node to it. and then have it working.

0 Likes

What sort of library do you mean? Have you got an example?

You cannot use browser-specific libraries in the runtime part of your code; you need to use a node.js module.

0 Likes

Libraries that usually interact with the front end, but are running on node.js .
and what do you mean by node.js module? what module can help me here?

0 Likes

@talhairfanbentley by node.js module I mean a module published to npm for use with node.js.

You haven't explained what you are trying to do, so I can't point at any specific module to help you.

A node runs in the node.js runtime - it does not have anything to do with the browser. The only browser part is the node's edit dialog. Do you mean you want to use a 3rd party library when you are editing your node in the Node-RED editor?

Please describe in detail what you are trying to do.

0 Likes

okay It's like this:
I'm creating a custom node. but I also have few external libraries with are related to imodel . To be exact I'm using imodel js front end libraries. in which the window object is being used.
Now I'm not sure what i'm asking is possible or not.

0 Likes

A node-red node runs as a headless piece of code in the server. It doesn't display anything on the screen. The imodel.js library you've linked to appears to be a library for displaying models on a webpage. Node-RED nodes don't run in the webpage - they run on the server.

There are modules such as node-red-dashboard that can be used to generate web-page dashboards served from node-red. It might be you want to create a custom node for node-red-dashboard that can be used to add an imodel.js viewer to a node-red-dashboard web page. But I am just guessing....

What do you want your custom node to actually do? Describe what functionality you want it to provide.

0 Likes

Certainly you guess gives me some idea.
and as for now, I just need to query an imodel and display the result in the page or console. But only using frontend libs.

0 Likes

For this I suspect the node-red-contrib-uibuilder project may be more appropriate as it lets you build a Node-RED dashboard the way to want using whatever libraries you want.

0 Likes

Yes, uibuilder can help here.

You will install the ibuilder nodes to your userDir folder - normally ~/.node-red and add the names to Node-RED's settings.js file as per the documentation for uibuilder.

Then you can add a uibuilder node to your flow and it will make the front-end libraries available.

You will need to then amend the default index.html file to load the libraries into the browser & make any required changes to the rest of the web page. Then you may have to alter index.js to do whatever imodel needs.

uibuilder then also provides you with a communications channel between the Node-RED server back-end and your front-end code so that you can pass data back and forth as needed.

0 Likes