Any advice ? OLED Node SPI issue

HI Guys,

Quick Question, why does OLED node only work with I2C and Not SPI ?

I have a Raspi zero OLED HAT ( 128x32) ( https://www.waveshare.com/product/displays/lcd-oled/lcd-oled-3/2.23inch-oled-hat.htm )

I got it to work on a other project and used I2C with the OLED node (bus:3c), because I could not get it to work on SPI. when I run the demo code in the terminal it looks and works great, and would like that same visual performance in Node-red. how do I go about this or can I only use I2C.

Thanks and your responses will be greatly appreciated.

You don't mention which node it is, but I guess it is written on top of another library like the i2c-bus one. If so it would need to be either rewritten or extended to use an spi one instead .. I guess the author just picked one and went with it.

HI @dceejay dceejay,

Thanks for you response ,

would you be so kink to inform me of a OLED node that work on SPI?

I think you should go to the flow tab and do some searching.

Out of curiosity, what was the OLED node to mark this as solved? I could only find two obvious OLED nodes and both of them only mentioned I2C on their description.

hi @ristomatti,

No unfortunately the OLED node is only setup to use /run I2C interface commands, there is nothing on Node-red for SPI

I had to solder the 0 resistors on OLED screen from SPI to I2C .... ti worked but the text size and font option do not apply and look 1980's unfortunately, it is what it is if you want to use Node red with an OLED screen right...

There might very well be a Python library that supports SPI communication. You could for example write a script that interfaces with the display and listens data from MQTT. You'd send the required data from NR to it through MQTT.

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.