Flow => wifi outlet => mqtt => node-red => cloud Iot core

Hi my friends, first of all sorry for my ignorance but I just landed on node-red after being researching about the IoT world, I can seem to understand how to connect a real device, like a tecking wifi outlet, that is currently connected to my local network, to node-red to be able to control it from the internet.
eventually, I would love to get to it core because form there I know how to use the data for web apps, but I'm stuck on this software-hardware and all the tutorials and readings talk about either raspberry pi or online demo devices. Any help?

This node claims to support teckin plugs https://flows.nodered.org/node/node-red-contrib-tuya-smart - so worth trying gthat.

It only works with early firmware - it doesn't work with devices with new firmware :frowning:

(Plus getting hold of the keys needed is a LOT of work)

Thank you all for the response! I did try that node with no sucess. So how should i go about it then? If i want to control an iot device like an outlet or a light bulb using iot core either aws or gc. Should i get an specific set of iot devices from a specific brand ? :thinking: is that my current problem? The device?

Have a look at the ESP based devises such as those from Sonoff, Tuya and Shelley. They can be re-flashed with alternative s/w such as Tasmotta or ESPEasy and can then be accessed very easily from node-red via MQTT. There is a vase array of such devices at very low cost.

Is it this one?
https://tasmota.github.io/docs/devices/Teckin-SP23/

Its actually the s10 in my case, and i see that the flashing concept will mean basically reset the outlets software to be able to add the proper certifificates to add it to a cloud service securely. But the article mentions that the OTS flashing might not be available on future devices and that its being blocked by the company, so ibcan only guess that this its ot a permanent solution, what would it be then if i want to be able to build something that can last?

I've been thinking of sticking a Pi with speaker in a box with an Alexa dot and get the Pi to speak commands to the dot :slight_smile:

2 Likes

No, that isn't correct. The flashing makes it a standalone item with no relationship to the original s/w. The bit about it not working in the future relates to the use of Tuya Convert which is a utility that allows flashing with Tasmotta using the built in upgrade feature provided by the manufacturer, by pretending that the tasmotta s/w is actually a new version of the manufacturers s/w. Later versions of the product closed that loophole but provided you haven't already upgraded it to the latest manufacturers version that may still work. If it doesn't then you have to open it up and connect a serial connection in to program it with that.
So to re-iterate, once you have re-flashed it you have product which is entirely under your control and does not require any cloud services and won't phone home to give away your secrets.

Thanks Colin for that! I got that part now. But let's say I do want to build a project that uses a bunch of it devices and I want to connect all of them to the cloud, Do I need to get specific brands that work with AWS for example or Google, my issue is that I could not figure out how to add the certificates from those cloud providers to the actual device, adding the certificated to my computers Is easy, but when I need to add the to an outlet... I don't even know where to start

Do the cloud connection in node red not direct from the device.

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.