Node-red-dashboard upgrade - Lost my nodes

I'm running Node-red on a Ubuntu laptop.

Upgrade toda to Node-red 0.19.5 and to Node-red-dashboard 2.12.2 -> result I lost my dashboards nodes so my /ui is completely unusable.

This is the message when I open Node-red
Flows stopped due to missing node types.

• ui_base
  • ui_chart
  • ui_audio
  • ui_gauge
  • ui_switch
  • ui_numeric
  • ui_text
    And I have lost the structure of the UI in the dashboard tab.

I tried to disinstall Node-red-Dashoard and install previous version, but same result !

Any clue ?
tks
Marcello

Hi

What steps did you take to upgrade?

Does the Node-RED log show any other errors relating to dashboard when it starts up?

Have you got any other dashboard-related modules installed such as node-red-contrib-mdashboard or node-red-contrib-ui?

tks or the answer,

I have very few add on ... I have contrib_ui_list, that could be related.

First step I upgraded node-red-dashboard from the Palette and went up to 2.12.2. I had to restart Node-red and when I reopen the interface I got the error and all my nodes were gray-out.

At that point I upgraded the Node-Red to 0.19.5, but the situation didn't change.

At that point I tried to get back with previous version of Node-red-Dashboard, but the situation is the same.

I don't see a log file of Node-red. Where is it ?
tks
Marcello

That will depend on how you are running Node-RED. If you are running on a Pi having used our update script, you ought to have a node-red-log command.

Otherwise, it will be wherever the output of node-red is being captured by whatever you are using to run node-red.

I run on an Ubuntu Linux. In the .node-red directory I don't see any log file...

I reboot the Linux bos to restart Node-red ... Yes a bit brutal, but it is the only reliable option I found.

I have a recent backup of the Node-red configuration. Does it make sense to reinstall Node-red from scratch a reinstall the configuration ?

No, you won't.
SSH into your installation and try typing node-red-log, and the log will be printed to your SSH client.

But how do you run Node-RED? What do you do to get Node-RED started? Is it running a service? Do you manually run 'node-red' in a terminal?

Yes Node-red in run as a service on the UBUNTU
and NO node-red-log is not installed. I believe is only installed on PI

UPDATE

i tried to launch node-red knowing that it would have failed because the program was already running .... But i received some interesting info on the terminal:

10 Dec 21:56:37 - [warn] [node-red-dashboard/ui_audio] SyntaxError: Block-scoped declarations (let, const, function, class) not yet supported outside strict mod e
10 Dec 21:56:37 - [warn] [node-red-dashboard/ui_base] SyntaxError: Block-scoped declarations (let, const, function, class) not yet supported outside strict mode
10 Dec 21:56:37 - [warn] [node-red-dashboard/ui_button] SyntaxError: Block-scope d declarations (let, const, function, class) not yet supported outside strict mo de
10 Dec 21:56:37 - [warn] [node-red-dashboard/ui_chart] SyntaxError: Block-scoped declarations (let, const, function, class) not yet supported outside strict mod e
10 Dec 21:56:37 - [warn] [node-red-dashboard/ui_colour_picker] SyntaxError: Bloc k-scoped declarations (let, const, function, class) not yet supported outside st rict mode

.... All errors related to the Dashboard nodes !!
Does it help?

It would depend how you set it up to run as a service. If you had used the Pi install script, that works on Ubuntu, then you would have the node-red-log command.

So, if it is installed as a service, you can probably use:

sudo journalctl -f -u nodered -o cat

but you may need to change nodered for whatever you have the service named as.

Seeing your updated message with Block-scoped declarations messages... that means you are running too old a version of node.js. You should upgrade to Node 8.

Node.js version v4.2.6

output from Journalctl

marcello@mqtt:~$ sudo journalctl -f -u node-red.service -o cat
file using your chosen key the next time you deploy a change.

10 Dec 19:08:32 - [info] Waiting for missing types to be registered:
10 Dec 19:08:32 - [info] - ui_base
10 Dec 19:08:32 - [info] - ui_chart
10 Dec 19:08:32 - [info] - ui_audio
10 Dec 19:08:32 - [info] - ui_gauge
10 Dec 19:08:32 - [info] - ui_switch
10 Dec 19:08:32 - [info] - ui_numeric
10 Dec 19:08:32 - [info] - ui_text

Yup, 4.2.6 is too old. Node 4 is no longer maintained or receiving security fixes. You need to upgrade.

remove the old-one first ??? sudo apt-get remove nodejs

and then install the new one : sudo apt-get -y install nodejs

Or could I leave the old one there ?

And why node.js has not been installed when I do the regular update of the Linux box ?

It depends where you're getting node.js from. The version in the ubuntu repos is probably stuck back on that old version. You will need to add a more up to date source for it to get node 8 - https://github.com/nodesource/distributions/blob/master/README.md#deb

Because the version of node.js installed with Ubuntu is old.
The easiest way of making sure you have a consistent set of tools on a Debian based system such as Ubuntu is to use the install/upgrade script for the Pi.
https://nodered.org/docs/hardware/raspberrypi

Upgraded to 6.15.1!!

And voila ! Problem solved !!
So, I learnt that I have to keep node.js update manually

Many tks,
My Node-red is monitoring and managing my heating system ... Let me say that in this period is quite critical.

Tks a lot
Marcello

You do realise that Node.js v6 is close to being at the end of support as well?

Better plan for a V8 migration !

1 Like

Marc,

Did you run the RPi istall as Colin suggested?
If not can you perhaps post the link / command , I am in the same boat here.

I was running NodeRed directly on an Ubuntu PC.

Now I have it integrated in HassIO, so a lot of manintenance problems are gone.