Raspberry Pi 4 Model B + Raspbian Buster

Seeing questions about performance on here, I haven't received mine yet, but I read this article the other day that indicates it runs a lot hotter when loaded...so you'll need some cooling if you don't want to run into thermal throttling.

https://lifehacker.com/the-raspberry-pi-4s-most-interesting-quirks-1835871780

As for the running hot, Iā€™ve a Pi (1)B+, first generation first batch and it definitely runs hot too. Especially USB/Ethernet ports are hazards for burns, but most of the PCB gets really hot. I just assumed it would be the same for every pi afterwards to behave like that too. I noticed my pi 3B+ did get hot during the make -j 4 compiling job I gave it, but then again so does most of my systems for max-cores compiling tasks.

For me as an amateur tinkerer and maker, the extra 4k display (I run my Pi headless anyway) and extra speed when running NR (which I doubt us mere mortals will appreciably notice the few hundred microseconds difference) is icing on the cake; but not too much as a incentive to rush purchase at this stage. However, all credit and kudos to Pi foundation for continuously improvement.
What I cannot understand is why is there no analog pins in the Pi yet? I have been waiting for this at every release. Surely it would be trivial to include analog pin capabilities compared with adding extra 4k displays.

Those do not (as far as I can see) provide a standalone headless server capability, as you need a mother board to plug it into.
Whether leaving the display hardware off a Pi would make a significant difference to the cost is another matter of course.

1 Like

Personally, I'd prefer to see a Pi without onboard GPIO (which I never use anyway), just with high-speed serial ports to easily connect to an Arduino or similar. Or perhaps a Pi with an Arduino providing the GPIO.

3 Likes

drmibell - That's fair. It will be interesting to see how many of the current issues they can fix by software changes. If it's a driver issue, then sure. But sometimes the hardware doesn't always play nice together (I've seen embedded projects at work where it looked good on paper, but didn't work out as expected in the end due to hardware issues).

All in all, the Pi 4 is something definitely to keep our eyes on. :slight_smile:

Take a look at the Gertduino shield/hat :slight_smile:

Comes with an atmega 328, 2 user buttons, 6 user leds, rs232 converter and an additional atmega 48 with a standalone RTC and a CR1025 battery slot as backup power for said RTC.

1 Like

Or I could just use s $3 ESP8266 instead of an Ā£18 hat. :smile:

2 Likes

Exactly. Hence why I am not using those for my current projects. ESP32 based for me though, a bit more expensive but Iā€™m not going to succeed in the ESP8266 memory limits Iā€™m afraid.

1 Like

Well, we are going well off topic now but the following seems to have a useful summary of the differences between ESP8266 & ESP32.

In some ways, I think the ESP32 is around the performance of a Pi0 but of course that is helped by having a real-time OS instead of Linux. The ESP32 does seem to be nice, especially if, as you say, you need more memory or you want to make more use of interrupts. The interrupt processing seems really easy to use on the ESP32.

I have one in the form of an M5stack which is a really nice piece of hardware that I picked up cheap. Not done more than play with it so far though. Too many projects and ideas! (back to our other conversation again :slight_smile:)